FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, heres the thing, i have a $3000 budget, im looking to replace coils struts, sway bars, (already fab. strut braces for front and rear) wheels and tires, the whole works now i seen that burton has a bushing kit, would this be nes. if im replacing all that i can? also with CV joints be worth replacing? also AWdisc brakes are in my plans, i would like part brand names, distributors and part numbers, anything that will help with steering/gripping let me know. and if all goes well i will post some links on youtube for you guys its about to get cold, so i have all winter to git-r-dun
BTW 87 EGT

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Replacing any junk factory bushings is always a good thing, especially if you upgrade to poly's. CV axles need to be replaced if they are clicking, if not, don't worry about it unless you want to replace them while you are there.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Yes, I agree, replace the bushings. Burton even has concentric top mounts for front struts. Personally, I like the GAZ coilovers the most, and have seriously considered converting to that all around. If you want disc brakes all 'around, then look at a junk yard for Contours...especially SVT ones.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would have liked coil overs but it seemed like i would need to fab/ and alter a few places, when really i just want to get the suspension out of the way so i can start working over the motor. i was looking at the bushing kit but if i replace all that i ordered, including the control arms and CVs (simply because new is new and old is worn) would there be anything else besides tierod bushings? heck if i could get an up-grade on a k-member and A-arms for strength and light weight i'd do it. as i said my budget being 1,800 but that until my march than i get another $2grand to play with money isn't much an issue as long as my investment lasts a good 100,000 miles or better now the SVT contour brake rotors is this a bolt on match?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't know about the rotors, but the drums from a first gen contour would require some fabbing. Depending on your fab skills you could concievably install the whole contour rear subframe if your narrowed it by about 2" and welded in strut towers. I have considered that more than once since it would give you a whole set of rear suspension options that you didn't have before. IIRC from when I was looking at that, you would need to cut the center of the rear subframe from the contour and narrow it by about 2", and the make new mounting hole for the swaybar links. I don't recall how compatible the strut tower were, but you may be able to modify those from a tempo instead. All in all, it really depends on what you are doing with the car. If you just want to drive it, bigger sway bars, new bushings, and check that everything is tight. If the cv axle boots are intact and it's not making noise, don't replace the axle, it isn't worn down. I still have original axles on my '82. Ball joints and tie rod ends also don't typically wear down unless they weren't taken care of and they don't have grease, but they are cheap enough to replace, so you can do it anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.