FEOA Forums banner

How-To Replace the Shift Light (3rd Gen)

19K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Victor 
#1 ·
Hello all, this is actually my first post so what's up? I just recently replaced my shift light because it had been burnt out for a couple of years. I replaced it with an LED one from superbrightleds.com(194 replacement or a WLED-x6 cool white). I searched around on the site and found some good instructions for the replacement, but none with pics. So I figured what's a better way to make my first post than to make an informative one. I basically used the information from ryanrules and GregF422. http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... fter+light

Oh yea... excuse the mess in my car, I should have cleaned up a bit.

I'm not sure if the light is brighter than the original because I had no way to compare. My dome light, however, was replaced with an LED (RL4410-xHP9) from superbrightleds.com and it illuminates more of the car than its original for sure.

Here is my How-To on the shift light bulb replacement in a 3rd Gen

1. Set parking brake and set shifter to L

2. Slide the seats forward

3. From the rear, unscrew the screws on either side of the console

4. Pull the back of the console up and wedge it around the parking brake handle

5. Now in front of the parking brake are two screws going to the frame, unscrew both of them.

6. Pull straight up on the cup holder insert to take it out

7. On either side underneath the dash pop out the plastic retainers

8. Pull back and up on the front console

9. On the driver's side, leading up to the shifter is two wires

10. Those two wires lead up to the shift light, which at this point can be replaced with a new bulb

11. Just do the reverse to close everything up

12. Enjoy

[/img]

See less See more
#6 ·
LED source

Hey, it's a good write up.

I'm 2nd Gen stick shift, but I find your "sources" give me food for thought; Mine is 1994 LX SW and hope to use the LED idea for dome AND rear hatch light.

The mess? ha. Oughta see MINE sometimes..... AND I noticed when I toke a PHOTO of my dash, the dust in the grooves and hard to get to places is REALLY EXAGGERATED in a photo..... so I"ll concentrate on the "how to" and ignore anything that might make you blush.

Thanks.

LarryR

#8 ·
Hello all, this is actually my first post so what's up? I just recently replaced my shift light because it had been burnt out for a couple of years. I replaced it with an LED one from superbrightleds.com(194 replacement or a WLED-x6 cool white). I searched around on the site and found some good instructions for the replacement, but none with pics. So I figured what's a better way to make my first post than to make an informative one. I basically used the information from ryanrules and GregF422. http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... fter+light

I'm not sure if the light is brighter than the original because I had no way to compare. My dome light, however, was replaced with an LED (RL4410-xHP9) from superbrightleds.com and it illuminates more of the car than its original for sure.

5. Now in front of the parking brake are two screws going to the frame, unscrew both of them.

10. Those two wires lead up to the shift light, which at this point can be replaced with a new bulb

12. Enjoy

[/img]

#9 ·
Just got done changing this in my daughters car. Thanks to your awesome detailed directions it turned out perfect!
The only thing I would add is the socket the bulb goes into needs a 1/4 turn to the left to remove the socket from its holder, in turn exposing the bulb. The pictures were a GREAT idea,
Thanks again :)

#10 ·
Hi pictures dont work. I cant seem to figure this out
Thanks

12. Enjoy

[/img]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.