FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for no pics right now, not at home PC.

1. Remove Intake Tube.
2. Remove Exhaust Manifold heat shield.
3. Remove two(2) bolts holding EGR Valve to intake manifold and vacuum line from valve.
4. Remove two(2) bolts holding EGR Tube to exhaust manifold.
5. Remove two(2) rubber hoses from EGR tube near valve. (Important: Do not mix up what hose is which. Mark upper and lower hoses.)
6. Remove EGR tube and valve from vehicle.
7. Plug hole in Exhaust manifold.
8. Cut EGR Tube about half-way down. Keep end attached to the Valve (Important: Do not cut off nipples for the DPFEGR Sensor.)
9. Make a length of rubber tubing from the cut-off end of the egr tube to the intake tube AFTER the MAF sensor.
10. Reinstall the egr valve and tube into the vehicle.
11. Reattatch the vacuum hose to the EGR Valve.
12. Replace the intake tube and attach the new hose from the EGR Tube to the intake.
DONE.

What will now happen is the Engine Computer will still call for the EGR Valve, but it now will be injecting Metered Clean air instead of exhaust gases.

Been running this Mod for over 9 Months and 55,000 miles with no MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) or Check Engine Light (Means the same thing).

Use the piece with 2 fittings on it. If you are OBD-I there will only be 1 fitting.

Any questions PM Me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The EGR system lowers the NOx emmisions from the tailpipe by injecting some inert gas into the combustion chamber, therefore cooling the burn temperature. If you live in an area that does emmisions testing, odds are you are going to fail. Also, you might cause your catalytic converter to fail prematurly. There is an element called Rhodium in your three way cat. The excess NOx might cause it to fail.

A new Catalytic converter will cost about $150.00. Here in the US, it is illegal for a bone yard to sell a used cat.

Just figure I would give you some insight regarding the possible dangers of eliminating your EGR system. You might not experience any problems, but you might really get the bone from this mod.

Tom

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive noticed a lot more mid-throttle pickup and better off-idle throttle response.

Caymen, the nice thing about OBD-II is that when you get an emissions test, they only scan the ECM for codes, they don't analyze the exhaust gases. It could damage the cat, but the usage-life of a cat is between 60-100 K Miles, and most of us are beyond that. I don't have a cat anyways. Bad backfire once and blew the guts out of the cat all over my driveway when i was cleaning my fuel injectors. long story, and off topic.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Actually, the test is a little more involved. The probe the engine parameters and actually "sniff" the tailpipe using both the Upstream and downstream O2 sensors.

There have been cases of OBD-II equiped cars failing the test without a CEL.

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
EGR = evil

Another thing about the EGR - it puts soot back into the intake along with exaust gas. In a high milage/oil consumption (but otherwise OK) engine, it's enough soot to make a mess of the intake tubing and valve stems.

I've just been leaving my EGR solenoid unplugged. A few weeks before inspection, I reconnect it and do an ECM reset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts