FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Dudes, hope you're doing good today, cauz i am :)

I've started to unbolt my exhaust line straight from the manifold to the muffler and i've had a hard time to remove some of those damn heavily rusted bolts...I could not find a way to make them move so i've decided to cut them (the ones after the downpipe and the catalyc converter) with my grinder since i don't have my torch right now... i did it because i didn't care and was going to replace them anyway...but i've had some more problems with the bolts at the manifold and at the catalyc converter inlet pipe ...i've used some wd-40 and oil to grease them and still had to force them into submission with , i must say, a lot of elbow grease....

my question is : Is there a way to make my life easier ? Would heating them with a torch help ? Cauz now that i'm slowly stripping my car appart...there is just too many of those rusted bolts..and i'm really getting aggravated 8O , cauz i always waste lots of precious time here and there just to brake the damn rust seal !.....( well at least i'll get stronger )

tanx for your experience and your patience :)

CIao, Max

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Lots of WD-40 (or the like) and some gentle to mildly aggrevated pursuation. That's it :D Heat will help with severely rusted on bolts. Most others won't required it. The best thing to do is soak down the stubborn hardware with WD-40 and let it sit overnight where possible. You should have no trouble the next day.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
hehe reminds me of the other night my brother-in-law and I were trying to replace the water pump on my sisters s10.

well its got one of those huge nuts (1 1/2 inch range). only problem is turning it turns the whole belt system (yes even the crank was turning). So we have this crescent rench from hell on there. It is easily over a foot long. We tried bracing everything. We even put wood blocks between pullies. So finally I remembered I through my rubber mallet in the Escape. It took about 4 tried before I finally got pissed enough to crack it as hard as I could. Luckily the blunt force broke the nut free.

its so annoying when little crap ties you up. We could have replace the pump with removing the belt some pullies and the actual pump in maybe an hour. But the freaking hose clamps were obviously made not to ever come off because we had to fight those things like crazy to get them free. Took us like 3 hours total by the time we were done dinking with that crap.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Re: .

CDenicola said:
Air-powered impact wrench :)
For those who are fortunate enough to have those facilities at home. (Working on it :wink: )

A 10ft bar on the end of your ratchet is also effective 8O

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
TitoElSpicco said:
p b blaster and a torch.

wd-40 is for babies.
*agree* PB Blaster is even better than WD-40, which says a lot.

I've spent 10 hours spread over 2 weeknights trying to remove a ball-joint that had rusted into place on a Subaru Legacy. The one on the other side fell right out like it's supposed to... if it hadn't been for that one ball-joint then I would have been done in about an hour. :x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.