FEOA Forums banner
61 - 80 of 127 Posts
im having trouble finding the wax impreganted fuel injection hose. could anyone help me out in finding it?

Great HOW-TO

good morning: yesterday i made this mod, i take out the whole unit and found the same problems with the gray gasket, not sealling well, i take this little container out and put a GATES fuel 5/16" hose and 2 INOX clamps and problem solve.

also i found the the positive sword connector (i don´t know how to call it) of the fuel pump was a little bit loose, i clamp it again and know i can feel the car with good response and power, the same noise of the pump, it don´t change.

i think i have this kind of problem for about 2 or 3 years ago.

best regards and i really recommend this great HOW-TO

Annother thing. On these cars dont but airtex. Go to advanced and pay the 30$ more for a bosh. I had 2 airtex pumps this year did the excact solution here having not found this yet. and it still did it. bosch swap and its all good. XD cheers

maybe we should all get bosch fuel pumps

Im trying to figure out how to do this mod, but the pictures aren't working right.

Reactions: Brad
Basically, there is a diaphragm tube that connects pump to sender. It's rubber deteriorates and sender flexes. Leaking and bleeding off pressure in those circumstances. Just get about 3-4" of 5/16" fuel injection hose (heater hose or non impregnated hose will not work for long) and replace diaphragm piece with length of hose and clamp ends. This keeps the pressure from bleeding off. I only have issues under very hard turn with less than 1/8 tank. This I suspect is just poor design.

Ok, I did the 5/16 hose on the fuel pump mod, and it's STILL doing the stalling out on right hand turns. Is it a definite that it's the fuel pump? The guy I bought the car from said he could exchange it for me if I needed him to, but I want a second opinion on the matter.

what type of hose did u use?

The wax impregnated fuel line hose. Anything stronger that I should ask for? The people at advance and auto one pretty much know me by name, so if I call, I can tell them EXACTLY what I need.

ur pump might be on it's last leg

fuel tank

My dies-on-right-turns with low fuel problem developed about 1.5 years ago. I replaced the whole OEM sender pump assembly with no change. The fuel gauge reads wrong with both old and new, so I'm thinking that the post suggesting broken baffles and a new tank is the answer. I've searched all the usual places for a new one, and the only used ones are out of driving distance and no one will ship a used tank. I'm in the Phoenix area. Any suggestions on where to get a tank? (95 GT, 119k) Either a new one anywhere, or a used one in AZ or southeast CA or southwest CO, southern NV/UT or western NM. The closest used one I found is near San Francisco, about 12 hrs. away.

I have replaced the hose and the orientation of the pick-up screen/sock is critical. Yes, it is a poor design and I still have the occasional issue with less than 1/8 tank, but I rarely run that low. The fuel acts like a coolant for the pump and if constantly ran in low fuel levels can shorter the life of the pump...

Hmm, interesting. I changed mine to a Bosch and haven't had ANY trouble. Could be the tank, strainer, or anything small and insignificant.

Oh and HOLY S#*& DEAD THREAD REVIVAL!

once i get my debts payed off i'm bout to change mine to a bosch pump. i can't stand bein at 1/4 tank full and takin one of them loop exits off the freeway causin it to bog down like crazy. it gets a little irritating like my ignition switch.

Re: fuel tank

dryheat said:
My dies-on-right-turns with low fuel problem developed about 1.5 years ago. I replaced the whole OEM sender pump assembly with no change. The fuel gauge reads wrong with both old and new, so I'm thinking that the post suggesting broken baffles and a new tank is the answer. I've searched all the usual places for a new one, and the only used ones are out of driving distance and no one will ship a used tank. I'm in the Phoenix area. Any suggestions on where to get a tank? (95 GT, 119k) Either a new one anywhere, or a used one in AZ or southeast CA or southwest CO, southern NV/UT or western NM. The closest used one I found is near San Francisco, about 12 hrs. away.
How can you tell if you have "broken baffles"?

A good flashlight and the whole backseat removed would be the easiest next to dropping the tank I would assume. Haven't had to do such a thing, so I don't wanna lead you in the wrong direction.

I don't think there is a real baffle, just a swirled sump for the pump to fit into. I think the lack of baffling is one of the issues; that and pressure bleed off which what this thread is about. I have "fixed" mine too, but it merely made it happen with even less fuel. When this isn't the DD, like to pull sender and see if something can be done. I don't want to go fuel cell.

Dang i wish i would have come across this thread along time ago, i had installed a walboro pump a couple years ago and then bought and oem pump assy and pulsator. Problem would never go away. I know my first mod i will be doing this winter since my car will be garaged. Just too bad i won't be testing the mod till late spring. Also gonna double check the baffle, it seems i checked it before this thread is making me double think that as well.

Idk if this has been answered ... I'm using free wifi and I cant few al the replies but what are the chances of a fuel pump being any good at a junkyard?

61 - 80 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.