FEOA Forums banner

How-To: 3.8 Throttle Body Swap (updated)

47K views 88 replies 36 participants last post by  marclar 
#1 · (Edited)
the 3.8 TB swap is the most common swap for the 1.9/2.0

its quite straight forward.

first remove the stock TB

second clean the surfaces of the TB and the manifold.

third the tb bore is bigger than the 2.0 manifold, so some drilling may be a good idea to make the bores the same size..

fourth place the 3.8 TB on the manifold and screw itin place..

fifth hook up the AIC

sixth attach the intake tubing..

seventh you have to rig something to use as the throttle cable support.
i used the stock 1.9 mount and bolted it to the manifold where the EGR tube was.

WIRING:

typically, most all ford obd1 stuff is the same. although i have seen some that do have diff color wiring, but the pinout is the same. the 3.8 and the 1.9 have the TPS in the same location so you wont need to mess with the wiring.

to verify TPS output, probe the signal wire, you should see aprox .4-.5v at close, and 4.4-4.6v at WOT

See less See more
#2 ·
you have specified which color serves which function, but which wires go to which pin on the TPS?? or is this something that we will need to find out on our own with a voltmeter?...

BTW, i am not trying to be an a$$, its just how it came out...i'm really a nice guy... :p

anomalous

#3 ·
To figure which one goes where:

With a voltmeter measure resistance between the center prong of the TPS and one of the outside prongs. Turn the TPS dogs with a screwdriver as if your throttle was opening. Note if the resistance increases or decreases.

Measure the resistance between the middle prong of the TPS and the other outside prong. Note if the resistance increases or decreases.

Order is as follows:

-5V signal is in the middle.
-Prong which has a decreasing resistance as the TPS dog is turned is the TPS signal to the ECU
-Prong which has an increasing resistance as the TPS dog is turned is the TPS signal to the tranny ECU. If you have a 5spd, I don't think you really even need to hook this wire up. It's used on automatic vehicles to tell it how hard your running the engine and adjust the sifts accordingly.

Matt 8)

#7 ·
i dont think so... the only bad thing about it is that the bore is bigger than the spi's manifold flange.. if you port it out then it makes a big difference.. also it gives you a prety cool sound.

#8 ·
I'm in the process of cleaning up my two 3.8L TB's that I picked up at the j/y on Sat. Wanted to make sure at least one of them worked. :wink: I'll be doing the porting of the TB opening on the mani as well as using the 3.8 gasket set. Then I'll hook my CTA Motorsports CAI back up since the stock SPI hose won't fit anymore. Might lose a little low end but I'll be loving the high end.

#12 ·
no it wont make a difference without the larger throttlebody and here's why, Even though you are making the bore on the manifold bigger where the throttlebody connects to, you still are getting the same amount of air through the t/b. You need the larger t/b to get more air through. Go get a 3.8 t/b, its a nice mod.

#16 ·
Yeah the chirp could be discribed as a reverse of a BOV sound.

#17 ·
sicne i finished my exhaust i noticed the manifold makes alot of weird noises. at first i thought it was the MS buzzing at me but it turns out to be the manifold.

#20 ·
you can put the 3.8 taurus tb on either the spi or 1.9 intake manifolds. i think were mostly talking abotu the spi . the spi intake wont fit on the 1.9

#24 ·
Not all Mustang 3.8's will work. I believe the cut off is 96. I got mine off an 89 Lincon Contenental.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.