FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how much time would be taken off my et by putting in a short throw shifter? I´d also like to know what brand is the better buy. There´s a few on NOPIonline.com but i can´t decide.

I´m sick of about grinding my gears during hard shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. it acts like it doesn´t want to go into gear most the time. the other half it slips in just as i´m letting off the clutch, like the syncros just got it in in time. stock the EGTs run like a 16.7 or so in 1/4 mi ET. I need to drop that down to low 14s high 13s. I realize the shifter won´t give me that much, obviously, but i need as much help as possible. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
It´ll be some major work to get down to high 13´s/low 14´s. Either turbo or full rebuild high compression NA with a standalone ECU. As for the short shifter I would recommend the B&M as the quality is much better. The pacesetter has a shorter throw, but it´s a pacesetter lol. And as for the gear grinding, it just does that if you shift too fast at too high of revs. I know it´s kinda a known problem on the 1.9´s but since you have a GT maybe the syncros are going bad or your not pushing the clutch in all the way.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I push the clutch in all the way but it is a 10 year old car. i´d love to have the tranny rebuilt but that would cost me. I´ll try to get the B&M shifter in a couple of months, but the problem is i gotta move out and start payin rent.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ya well my trns doesnt grind ever, i own the pacesetter shifter and have no problems. i picked one up for a friend and he hated it, he ended up switching to the pacesetter.
as far as the trns, stock clutches cant take the abuse, they dont release quickly enough. especially at 6500rpm.

[ Edited by thefirstblusuki On Date 10-18-2002 ]

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, i´m sure i push in my clutch. it´s like second nature now. All i´ve ever driven is manual trannys. i figure it´s a 10 year old car, the clutch probably needs adjusted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts