FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install my new gauge faces, but I can't get the cluster out. I've got everything out and I'm at the point where I need to get the speedo cable off and disconnect the electrical connections to the cluster. I need to know far I can pull on the cluster. I'm afraid to break something if I pull too hard. How much hard can I pull? My Haynes book says to disconnect the cable from the transmission. I've been at this for 2 hours and it's driving my NUTS!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You don't disconnect it from the transmission... well. I guess you could. That'd work too. But what I do is lie on my back in the driver's side foot well, then reach up through the steering column and all the venting crap and get my hands on the speedometer cable housing. It's a rubberized cable, about 6mm in diameter. There's a little white clip that you have to squeeze to disconnect it from the latch that attaches to the gauge cluster. You won't be able to see any of this... you have to do it all by feel. Anyway... once you get that out, the gauge will be slightly easier to move. You cock it to one side (don't pull it out) and disconnect one of the wire connectors on one side. Then you cock it to the other side, disconnect the other one, and you're home free.

I HIGHLY suggest leaving the gauges alone. Aside from the speedometer, just touching the gauges can throw off the accuracy completely. I don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that if I pull on the speedo gauge it brings the cable thur the cluster, then I can easily disengage the speedo cable. You were correct about messing with the gauges. My car now revs at 1100 while it's off :(. I'll chalk it up to a $45 lesson.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I never even took out the cluster to change my gauge faces. take a pic or figure out where your needles are, stick a fork behind them to pop them off and then stick your gauge faces over the stock gauges, reinsert needles, go for a test drive and see how far off yoru speedo is.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have taken the guages in and out of my clusters tons of times, and if you don't have small hands, then it is easiest to undo the speedo cable at the tranny. Otherwise, you can go for the quick'n'dirty under-dash method.

I've never had any problems with decalibrating my guages, either, but it's not like I used them for hockey practice or something.

--sarge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts