FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i have searched for a while and cant find what i am looking for. So if this has been discussed i apologize. Im a 2nd gen guy and have never seen under the hood of a zx2. I have a chance to pick up a nice 98 zx2 that needs a timing belt for $500. I have done a few on 2nd gens and its easy. How is it on a zx2, and by that i mean is it somewhat easy to get to? Or is it one of those deals where you cant even get your hand in there its so tight? Please let me know? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is room to work on the zetec motor in the ZX2, however the valve cover must come off because the cams need to be locked in place with a file or piece of aluminum stock so that the cam timing will be correct. I suggest getting a Haynes manual if you don't have one already and read through it, use it as a guide as you do the job. I did a timing belt in a zetec Focus earlier this year for a friend, it worked out just fine. Replace the water pump while you're at it, it will be easy to get at while you're in there. Also use a new valve cover gasket so that it won't leak when you put it back together.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I didnt think it would be too bad. I just wanted to know from someone who has done it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Only replace the water pump if you need to. The water pump is in no way related to (or easier to do) the timing belt. There is a how-to on Team ZX2 and I think it is posted here as well. The Haynes manual will have you doing extra work that does not need to be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts