FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who in their right ****ing mind would put the ****ing fill plug at the back of the transmission UNDER the speed sensor and speedometer cable? I got the cable out... How do I get the cable base out of the tranny without breaking it? Please tell me there is an easier way to fill the thing back up... :roll:

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i got the speed sensor housing out, along with its little drive shaft, but no gear came out with it, how am i supposed to refill the tranny through a hole the size of a pin?

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no little gear came out. I got the fluid in. I took the reverse sensor out, wedged the hose in the hole, and filled it up. I put the speedo drive back in and it meshed back in with the drive gear. I'm going to take it for a ride to make sure everything is ok.

I will NEVER do this again. I dont care how dirty the oil is. I would rather stab myself in the balls with a dlunt object than do this again.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update... Took it for a ride... Speedometer still reads speed, guessing the gear stayed put while I had the shaft out?

Shifts much, much better. The oil I took out was blakc and smelled like something rotten.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Josh_LX said:
I will NEVER do this again.
If your tranny fluid was in the condition you state, then you may want to change it once every couple of years; you're pushing your tranny hard.

It's really not that bad of a job. Sure it's awkward and isn't as easy as changing engine oil, but you should be able to do the whole job in thirty minutes to an hour, tops. A hand pump is a required tool.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive only had the car for a four months and 10,000 miles. The kid before me put 85,000 miles on it... all of which were very, very painful for the car. There was lots of neglect that I had to fix. I drove it about 60 miles tonight at different speeds and it shifts a TON better. I didn't miss a single shift tonight. I ususally miss the 1-2 shift because it feels like its in gear but its not. On the bright side, there weren't any metal flakes in the oil. I dont know exactly how much oil I got in the case because I filled it through the reverse sensor but I know I got between 2.5 and 2.75 quarts in it. It might be a little over full, but thats quite allright with me. I might fix the speedo gear if I feel ambitious, but I'm not going to feel ambitious any time soon. It took me 3 hours to do this today... 10 minutes to drain the oil completely, and another 2 hours and 50 minutes to figure out how to fill it back up. By the end of the ordeal I was beyond pissed, and very frustrated. I dont understand why anyone in ther right mind would build a tranny without a fill plug. I mean, the drain plug on that thing is a work of art, ITs big, burly, and in the perfect, obvious location. I was looking in my Haynes manual, and it says "remove the speedometer cable, speed sensor, speed sensor drive, refill with oil, and check levels" God, if it were only that easy... :roll:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
They have this tube that connects to the bottle of Transmission Fluid that allows you to get the oil in with out worrying about missing the tranny all together I picked one up at Autozone a couple of years ago it has yellow caps at both ends. Of which one is obviously the screw on part with a valve and the other end is the nozzle. I couldnt imagine them being more than $10. Theyre about a foot long.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
did you just take the plastic part off the top?

a removed speedo gear should look something like this (note, the plastic sensor part is already removed in this pic.):

actually, I guess you would call this the Speed Sensor Drive, according to your Haynes quote.

--sarge

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hahahahaha you know whats funny!!! there is this place where we run cars through to see what speed they hit, so my friends integra has a b18 ya know the good motor it's not vtech but still they have 39 more hp and 13 more tq plush he has a header and intake and no rear seat, i have the 88hp 1.9 right with a muffler stock pipe and air box mod and new stage 1 clutch with a 12in auido bahn sub and all my interior and skinny ass tires he hit 80 mph and i hit 76mph is that not some funny shit

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
^ werd wtf does that have to with anything?

I changed my gear oil when I put my new clutch in. So after I lifted the tranny in I just poured it in where the axels go (cant think of the proper name).

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Not only is that completely off topic. It's more than a year old. :?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
true, but he had a question about the speedo gear, and josh_lx referred him to this post as part of an answer. Good to know that people actually follow links that are posted, rather than just posting the same question again and again and again without reading anything.

:)

--sarge

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'm not denying it; infact its great that he went here, but that post might be better placed somewhere like the kill list.

A "Thanks for linking me here Josh, it really helped me out." Would have been called for without raising a flag for way off topic.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
on topic

if you only filled it to the top of where the cv axles go into the tranny many ur low on fluid. I had this problem when I did my car, I had a hard time gettin the sensor out. I had to break it off tap it out and put a bolt in so that I could yank the sucker out of there. It was not a fun job, I wish the ford engineers a painful kick in the ass for making it that. Same as the computer being just under the heater core idea. Anyhow I digress, I had to replace the sensor obviously after I filled it, was thinking that next time I replace the clutch I will drill a hole in there and make my own fill plug. Anyone stuck on this process pm me I will walk you through a easier way of doing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts