FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the pipe that goes into the back of the cylinder head on my '88 gt that comes from the catylitic convertor. Do I need to find another pipe to replace it or can I fix it somehow or just plug that hole up. I broke the pipe into two pieces right behind the fitting that goes into the cylinder head. Has this happened to anybody and how did you fix the problem??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I connect this kind of tubing to it somehow to repair the broken part???

I tried to link it but it didn't work. It's Aeroquip's AQP Stainless Steel Braded Hose that can handle temperatures from -55 to 300 degrees Farenheit and a maximum pressure of 1,000 psi. Could I somehow place a fitting onto the end of the pipe and run the hose to the back of the cylinder head??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or what about Goodyear Hysunite Fuel Line/Emission Control Hose found on Summit Racing's website?? It's max pressure is 175psi with average working pressure being 50psi. Max temp is 240 F. It's rubber. Could I just slip it over the broken part and clamp it on??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that is what it is called. It sends some of the exhaust back into the combustion chamber to create less emissions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about using some heater hose and clamping it on both ends?? would it leak easy or cause any problems??

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I really dunno what to say. Just be patient... most people on here are hung over. From the sounds of where it is though, I'd think you'd just have to replace whatever you broke with the same thing.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
White88GT said:
what about using some heater hose and clamping it on both ends?? would it leak easy or cause any problems??
Yes, it will melt.

Get another tube from the wreckers, or weld the one you have.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
A hot as your exhaust gas gets. I would guess at around 800deg for an NA, but I don't know. I do know that rubber hose will not survive.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have a welder and I think it would be a major pain to find one in the junkyard and end up breaking that one too. Is there any other way I could fix this problem??

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Any pics of the damage? Probably not, but if the fitting is similar to that of a second gen there may be an option, but I need to know most importantly where it broke, and how it's broken.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Go ahead and throw some heater hose on there, then let me know when it melts so I can post that I told you so. Heater hose is typically only good for around 250 to 300 deg F.

Here's the only example I could find that wasn't in PDF form. They're all the same though.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?broch ... on_id=1175

I don't know if JB weld will work due to the vibration. I also don't know how it's broken so I can't offer anymore help than telling you to get another one alreay.

Matt 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts