FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
First and foremost:

Make sure it's the injectors first!

There are a multitude of problems that can resemble bad injectors. Be sure that's your problem before tackling this problem.

Also, what engine? The procedures are different of the 1.8 and 1.9.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok heres my symptoms

I installed new plugs.

The engine ran perfect so I jumped on the highway to air it out :p I went about 100mph got off the exit and came back to the house.

The car (1.9L) was running like sh*t.

Pulled the #4 plug and the whole tip was melted off.

Replaced the plug, disconnected the battery (1 hour), hooked the battery back up and aired it out again. :p

Came back same problem tip was melted off.

I am lost right now but a freind of mine says it's a bad injector.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
First off, the #4 cylinder is the one furthest to the right, or closest to the coil pack. Is this the cylincer we're talking about.

Second, what was melted. The porcelain insulator and the electrode should never melt. Did you only pull that one plug, or did you pull all of them and that was the only one like that.

Thrid, try putting in another spark plug, or one of the old ones. Try that and see if it does it again.

Fourth, have you ever run fuel injector cleaner through your car.

Fifth, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter. It's too late now, but it could have let enough dirt through the filter to get in the fuel rail and partially block the injector causing it to run lean, and thus run extremely hot in that cylinder.

Sixth, does it run like crap all the time, or just at specific RPM.

By the sounds of it, you may either have a bad injector, or just dirty injectors. I would try taking them off and cleaning them. Might even be a good idea to take them into a shop that can do a bench test on the injectors for you, but I would just clean them first and install a new fuel filter. If you change one injector you should change all four, which is a bit pricey.

If you do decide after further inspection that you need to remove the injectors from the engine, don't follow the haynes manual. They do it the really friggin long way. Let my know and I'll tell you a shorter (1-1.5hr) way of doing it.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is the plug all the way to the right and the entire tip was melted both times. I just changed that injector and I am about to go drive it around to see what happens. I also put some injector cleaner in my tank. I will tell you what happens later. Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts