FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get this, my friend came by Sunday with his 2002 Acura RSX Type-S - very sweet car. We were going to mod his car with uprated brake pads and color his calipers while in there. Because he´s got the factory body kit, and the bigass sub box in his trunk, we couldn´t use the stock factory jack to engage underneath the side sills. He uses a 3 ton floor jack. Well underneath the car up front is a cross-member with an arrow pointing to the jack recess. We engage the jack and begin lifting intending to fit a pair of jack stands underneath. Mind you, we did everything by the book - chocked the wheels, brakes on, properly engaged the jack, etc. The car is about one and a half feet in the air and we´ve just gotten out from under it trying to place the jackstands. I give it one last lift and there´s this awful cracking sound and the car´s suddenly sitting on the ground - rotors all dug into the dirt and gravel and get this, the hood is popped open. It´s a sickening moment and all I can think of is that we just grounded this $25K car and have no way of lifting it back up.

Long story short - after an hour the tow truck comes and then have to dig under the car to get a jack in there. In the end, it looks horrible, hood sticking up 3 inches. But the only damage is that the bottom crossmember which connects to the radiator got forced upwards, causing the hood latch mount to shoot upwards. So while the car´s hood can´t close now, there´s NO other damage.

I can´t tell you just how digusting it was seeing this car stuck in the dirt. According to the tow truck guy, he thinks we did everything ok given that we couldn´t use the factory jack - his opinion of the Acura´s front jack recess is that it´s been miscast from the factory - it was rounded, not flat and so when raised, the jack would slip out. So my friend is going to try to pursue a warranty claim being that the stock jack was unable to be used due to bodykit (installed by Acura), and the bad design of the front crossmember jack slot.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Everyone please take this on in consideration....never work under a vehicle that doesn´t have jackstands and a lift. And ALWAYS try to work with a friend, in case something bad does happen.

Glad to hear the car´s okay though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That´s what bugged me - we were trying to go the safe route by using jackstands and never got that far because of the way the car was made. It kinda weighed on me later that one or both of us coulda gotten killed.

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
803 Posts
Zee: At least you and your buddy are okay. Hope it works out for you bro.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
That is a pretty sickening story, and I´m sorry it happened to such a great car, but i´m relieved you guys weren´t hurt.
My brother was telling me a few weeks ago that Honda is one of the best car companies, quality wise, but surprisingly enough, Acura is one of the worst companies. This just puts the icing on the cake. Tells us how the warrenty claim goes for your friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts