FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might as well be driving a mustang it's getting horrible mileage! i'd 12 to 17 mpg no matter how i drive it.. i can smell it's burning rich i just cannot find out why. the dist timing wouldn't make it this bad would it?

it doesn't smoke black.. that whitish haze but smells like gas. would the o2 sensor make it do like this? i have no cel. car is running good has a small miss at idle. when i first start it up it wont idle unless i feather the throttle then it is fine.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Dude, I still say your wiring harness has been [email protected]^$ed! I still can't figure out why your shift light runs the codes.

Anyway, I think your o2 sensor has bit the bullet. You got three codes dealing with it. And two contradict one another (one says rich, one says lean). Try clearing the codes and starting again to be sure. You may need a new o2 sensor.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol yeah crazy right. so i should disconnect the battery and clear the codes then pull the codes again? would the o2 sensor make my car that hard on gas? like i said i burnt about 2.5 gallon or so in about 22 miles. it's killin me..

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah, the o2 sensor would make a difference. Consider it's what tells the computer if you're rich or lean. If the o2 is saying the car is lean, the computer fattens up the air/fuel mixture. Noall should be able to tell you what the resistance should be, if you can use a multi-meter. Lord knows I can't very well.

And disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes works, but removing the jump wire while the codes are flashing is faster and easier, plus it works too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WJC said:
Is this the one that blew the head gasket?
yeah same car. i'd say the sensor needs replacing anyways. prolly the one it came out factory with. lol oh the adventures this car leads me on. i'll post a vid after i clear the ecu.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i unplugged the battery for a couple mins. then turned the key i hadn't ran the engine yet. but theat shift light was still blinking like crazy. you want me to post that vid or let the car run then pull the codes?

·
Registered
524 Posts
89harper said:
WJC said:
Is this the one that blew the head gasket?
yeah same car. i'd say the sensor needs replacing anyways. prolly the one it came out factory with. lol oh the adventures this car leads me on. i'll post a vid after i clear the ecu.
Well then go ahead and pull the sensor and check it for collant sludge buildup. But a sludged 02 sensor generally causes a lean condiiton, not rich. It measures the oxygen content in the exhaust, not carbon. So if it's fouled, then the tendency is for the PCM to lean the mixture. I'm betting you have a massive timing problem or your intake charge sensor (I guess MAF on that GT?) is bleeped up. Like the wire is broken or dirty or the connector is broken internally.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
41,42,43, and 86....sounds like the crap my parts car spit out at me. It was collapsing and cracked vacuum lines going to the map, though.

41 when running means fuel mixture lean.
42 when running means fuel mixture rich.
43 running is engine too warm for test.

If those were from memory I'd say the same thing. Try cleaning or replacing the air charge temp (ACT) sensor, as that looks to be giving too much voltage back to the ECU. As for the lean and rich at the same time, that could be O2 or TPS related.

86.....low fuel pressure or flow. I would check the regulator..it could be stuck on full open and just cycling back to the tank.

Also, I still maintain my hacked up wiring harness theory. If not, then I'd say your O2 and ACT sensors are crapped out. The O2 will cause the lean condition (sometimes rich but not always), and the ACT will definitely cause the rich (but sometimes lean). The TPS can also cause a serious rich problem, but that seems to be more on the MAP based systems.

As for O2 resistance, I have not actually checked as i've had little problem with them. If it's not a wide band, and it's reading off, most likely it's coked up, and replacing is a good idea. Remember: there is a finite amount of platinum to react with exhaust gases in those things. Also, if you buy a new one, get a Bosch or Motorcraft. Nothing else, especially not those GP Sorenson ones, will hold up long. I'm currently running on a 3 year old Bosch with no problems.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright this morning i was goin to school the check engine light came on 4 times. a buddy of mine got behind me and said he could smell gas fumes really strong and when i got on it he said it blew out a little white smoke. so i deff say it's burning rich..

when i let it sit and idle sometimes it will sit right above the 1 on the tach then drop down to about 650 and idle rough the the cel will come on.. when i give it gas it goes off.

i just hate to throw parts at it and that not be my problem. i plan on replacing the o2 sensor soon but how would i check the regulator?

should i pull the codes again since that light has came on?

thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Take the vacuum supply hose off the pressure regulator and see if it's wet. If it is then the diaphragm burst and it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
524 Posts
YOu usually have a hard start/long crank condition if the pressure regulator has failed, but check it anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i pulled it off where it goes on top of the intake. it's dry. i couldnt get the hose off at the bottom. will it have to come off to check it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
You may have an intake gasket leak. A large enough vacuum leak can cause those symptoms- flutcuating low idle, poor mileage. It maybe setting a false O2 code. If the motor is taking on way too much unmetered air, the O2 will see a super lean mixture and max out the fuel trim. That would be why it's dumping fuel.
Years ago, I had my intake gasket pop, and I was getting about 8 mpg, and it wouldn't run for crap. I think it's definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wouldnt the engine rev when i sprayed it with carb cleaner?

i put a o2 sensor and and temp sending unit in today. i think its better but still horrible. a little smoother driving to. cel came on twice at idle but went off when i gave it gas. i cleared the ecu after i replaced the sensor. pulled codes after cel came on. should i post vid or no?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts