FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is going in my 92 acura legend not my tracer.. but i figured car audio is car audio and i know theres some gurus on here.

i recently picked up a rocksford fosgate T400-4 power series amp

my legend has a factory bose stereo with a 80w x 4 amp.
my plan is to get rid of the factory head unit and install a carpc setup with this amp and some aftermarket components. going to hook the amp straight into the computers sound card with an RCA cable

my question is whats the best way to go about hooking the amp up?
i was thinking of just cutting the plugs off the factory wiring that plug into the 80w amp and just rewire them into my new amp. Im not sure what guage wiring is in my car but i dont see why it wouldnt be sufficient enough to power my new amp.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
your going to want a minimum of 4ga for that amp. but make life simple and just buy some 0ga. that way you covered! then i suggest rewiring all the speakers with 14ga speaker wire. the stock harness would be much simpler to interface with an adapter kit. hti up walmart they are liek 9 bucks. any stereo shop is goign to kill you for a smooth 20+.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
according to the manual that came with it says to use 4ga for power and ground and for speaker wires anywhere from 8-18 is safe.

i think you maybe misunderstanding what im trying to do. the factory amp has 3 plugs on it. one plug comes from the radio the other 2 are for the front and rear speakers, power and ground. the radio plug is useless to me since im using a computer instead of a head unit. i want to cut the plug ends off the other 2 and then wire them into my new amp. im going to wure the wiring harness from the head unit into my computers power supply. (i got the best buy hookup and can get that adapter kit for like 3 bucks) really im just asking if the factory wiring in my car would be sufficient enough to power my new amp

heres a diagram of the factory amp.
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f ... faq-45115/
you have to scroll down a bit to see it.

not sure if you can even see that thread without being a member

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
i fully understood you. hence why is said "then i suggest rewiring all the speakers with 14ga speaker wire." the stock suff is going to be to small and a poor strand count. its going to be 20ga and 4 strainds. after market wire is goign to be a good 100 strainds in 14ga.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was trying to avoid having to rewire the whole car but i guess its better to do it the right way and plus it cant hurt to rewire a 17 year old car.. whats the best way to do this rip out the whole interior?
ive never installed an amp before but ive installed headunits, speakers, and ive rewired a boats audio before to so i think ill be able to handle this.

should i add any electrical components to the wiring? like fuses, caps, etc?
dont wanna blow anything up lol

edit: guess i do need a fuse. manual says to hook up a 100A fuse on the power wire next to the battery

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so instead of trying to piece together my own wiring i was thinking of getting one of these

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4825/AK42--T ... on-Kit.htm

worth it?

open to suggestions here.

this was the cheapest full installation kit i found so far. best buy sells them for like 120 bucks. not tryin to go there

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
that is a fare deal. only thing you need is some good rca's but as long as you run power down oneside and rc's dont teh other you shouldn't have any feedback issues.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so go for it? it says the rcas are gold plated so i dont think they should be too bad... ill probably just end up using my monster cable since i have that layin around if its long enough

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new question...

since im not running a head unit where can i run the remote wire?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts