FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my buddy buy these for me (because I don't have an e-bay account):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2420892643&category=33638

I was wondering a few things... one, how do I go about putting these on. I was thinking that I'd apply them with the self adhesive, and then cut the hood while they're on. I don't know, although, what to use/how to cut the hood. I've heard dremel tool, but I don't know if that'd be enough. I asked this question on ERDT, but they didn't prove to be very helpful.

Also, if I wanted to make it a ram-air type of setup, what would I have to do? I was thinking of finding a way to connect a hose to my intake, and then have it split into two hoses to go to the vents. I don't know how I'd make it so I could seperate them when I opened the hood...

Any suggestions would be helpful!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well as for installing them I really couldn't help you out there, because I have no idea myself.

I'm not sure if you would be able to make a ram air setup unless you have really large vents or a hood scoop. Those do not look like they would be large enough. The reason they have to be big is because alot of air hits the front of your car and then goes above the surface of the hood. However; since I am not sure if it would work, I can offer a little bit of advice on your last question. What you could do is run the piping from you intake to your vents and get the openings very close to the underside of the hood. Then, to seal it, using that rubber molding stuff you find on your doors and trunk. Think of how well that stuff works to keep out rain and wind and you will see why it is a good idea. If you want a clearer picture of the basic concept of the idea then think about this; some cars have vents in the doors to help defrost the side windows. These vents usually have an intake hole you can see when you open the door. Usually, on the side of the dash, you can see a rubber circle with a hole in it. When the door shuts, it seals off the vent hole and viola! you have a side window defroster. The same concept would work on your idea as it allows the hood to separate from the modified intake. Sorry I couldn't be off more help to you, but I hope what I did say helps.

·
Registered
750 Posts
okay now im not sure if your idea would work or not BUT, the easiest way i think is to use the dremel tool. They have a cutaway kit that sells for about 15 bucks (us). And use that youll probally go through half of the kit, jut my guess on that.But the dremel will work. i dont really know any other ideas,

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
If you get the right blades for the dremel, setting 5 will rip pretty much everything apart. I used a dremel to cut a 5x7 shape out of my rear speaker decks (granted that's plastic) but it went through it like butter. I've cut lots of stuff with that dremel, plastic, wood, and copper. I was ripping the old piping out of the upstairs of the office, and i wanted to see how well it cut it... Well, it worked like a charm, of course that's IF you have the right blade.

I'd like to make my own ram air hood setup with this: http://www.spydarauto.com/store/display.php?RecordID=1047576111 8)

That would rock. It'd take some major fabrication and 2EGTs idea sounds very much like it would work. The only problem I can see is how to keep rainwater from getting into it. :?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well if you can figure out how a cars that already have ram air induction (ex: camaros?) keep rain out, then you can probably use a similiar setup. I really don't know what you would do about it.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
2EGTS said:
Well if you can figure out how a cars that already have ram air induction (ex: camaros?) keep rain out, then you can probably use a similiar setup. I really don't know what you would do about it.
Anyone with an SS doesn't drive it in the rain anyway. :wink:

Actually I thought about that, I'm not sure. I believe there's some sort of vent or mesh that keeps debris and water from gettin in, but this would have to be a direct connection (vent to filter) the Camaro SS hood enters in the rear then if you open the hood there's two tubes that look like rams horns that circle to the front of the hood where the filter is. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you read more carfully...you'll see that:

You can easily mount these yourself with the pre-applied 3M mounting adhesive, but if you really want to impress the judges, just take to your local body shop and they can mould them right in.

:p

·
Registered
576 Posts
Bah..just cut underneat but without removing too much metal..like a hole 1 inch smaller around and glue-it, weld-it, whatever you want to do to make it hold in place!

:lol:

·
Registered
618 Posts
James92Scort said:
...I believe there's some sort of vent or mesh that keeps debris and water from gettin in, but this would have to be a direct connection (vent to filter) the Camaro SS hood enters in the rear then if you open the hood there's two tubes that look like rams horns that circle to the front of the hood where the filter is. :)
If you want me to, I could look at my co-worker's 2003 SS for you, even take some pictures possibly. Though I wouldn't be able to do that until lunch or so (about 5 hours). That is of course unless he got into another accident with the thing or is having it worked on some other way.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
rellimpk said:
If you want me to, I could look at my co-worker's 2003 SS for you, even take some pictures possibly. Though I wouldn't be able to do that until lunch or so (about 5 hours). That is of course unless he got into another accident with the thing or is having it worked on some other way.
wishful thinking much? No such thing as an 03 SS, or any 03 Camaro/Firebird for that matter. :wink: the last car produced was an Bright rally red 02 Z28 that sold for $72k at an auction. 8O :eek:

Anyway, yeah take some pictures if you can & ask him if he'd care if I put them up on my cardomain on my F-body page :p

btw when I was driving around the mall yesterday, (had to take in my glasses for repair cause i dropped em and stepped on them...on asphalt d'oh! :x ) I saw between a 97-00 SS yesterday and it had some black meshing w/ small circlular holes in the scoop. I'm sure that restricts airflow, but somehow doesn't allow water into it. :? 8)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, that's my bad, it's a 2002 SS, I don't know why I said 03. Wasn't awake quite yet I guess.

Anyway, I'll be sure to get some pictures for you as soon as I can and I'll ask him if you can post them, though I don't think he'll mind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
James... My dremel tool only has 3 speeds... hrrmmm. Anyway, I guess they came in the mail today, so I'm gonna go pick 'em up from my friends house. Unfortunately, the 93GT is in the shop getting a new clutch dropped in it, so I'm gonna have to drive the 94LX. Grrr... I miss my car and I want to start this now. :)

I suppose that they may be too small to create a ram air setup that's worthwhile. It'd probally work, but I don't know if I'd get enough air in there for it to be worth all the fabrication, so I suppose I'll just cut the holes and have them cool the engine bay a little bit, and look badass in the process :twisted:

Thanks for all your input though... you guys rock!

·
Registered
618 Posts
James92Scort said:
Anyway, yeah take some pictures if you can & ask him if he'd care if I put them up on my cardomain on my F-body page :p
Yeah, he said you can put pictures of his car up there if you want, I'll email them to you when I get them. I would've gotten a good side shot, but there was a car parked close to it in the parking lot.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
rellimpk said:
James92Scort said:
Yeah, he said you can put pictures of his car up there if you want, I'll email them to you when I get them. I would've gotten a good side shot, but there was a car parked close to it in the parking lot.
sweet. if you have the pics yet [email protected]

Thanks Paul. You rock, oh and tell him his SS is cool (haven't seen the pics but I'm sure it looks awesome...Camaro's always do.) :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.