FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I have a few days before I can take car back to dealer, so thought I would see what you guys have to say. I have a 91 EGT manual with 74K on it, took it to local dealer to have a hesitation problem checked. When accelerating after starting it bogs down for a few seconds, gas pedal does nothing then all of a sudden everthing is back to normal and it doesnt happen again. Dealer found no cause for this but de-carboned the TB in the process and that was it. Before I took it in idle was around 1000, now it is anywhere from 1200-1500 and the hesitation problem still exists. Any ideas?? I am taking it back to dealer Monday and would like to have some ammunition. Thanks, Chris.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! High idle fixed, don't ask!! Hesitation/sputtering still ongoing. After starting to drive down the road the car sputters for approx 3-5 seconds. Press the pedal and nothing happens, then something? kicks in and car acts normal and this issue does not come back until car is shut off and started again. Very intermittent problem. Any ideas?? Thanks.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy crap!! Try $360, atleast thats what the local NAPA told me. Thats more than 1/4 that I paid for the whole car!! Anyway it is the type that does not come apart. Is there any way to test it?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced all those shortly after I purchased it. Defenetely helped how it ran because I think they were the originals. My hesitation only happens shortly after it is started. Doesnt seem to matter how long it sits, temperature or gear you are in. Start to accelerate and it spits and sputters for a few seconds, can mash the pedal to the floor and same thing. Then all of a sudden something?? changes, car kicks in and it doesnt happen again until it is shut off. Other than this the car runs excellent.

P.S. Does anyone know where to get the underhood insulation?? Other than a junkyard. The previous owner oil soaked the one that is in it.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coil has been replaced. Have not checked into ingnition module thouogh. Also today when starting it acted like it was only running on three cylinders. Shut it off tried again and same thing, third start was normal and nothing since. My so called mechanic neighbor says to change fuel, probably had a clogged injector. Might of believed that one if the fuel system wasnt just cleaned by him. Anyone live in the Phoenix area that can help me diagnose this thing??

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Car still doing it. Havent had time or money to check/replace anything. Car has recently started a new symptom. Occasionally (very) when started feels like it is only running on 2 cylinders. Shut ignition off and try again and everything is normal. Any ideas if the two symptoms are related?? Also car is going into storage for approx a year, any recommendations?? Thanks.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Does anyone out there think this could be the timing belt?? There is a mechanic that I work with and he said that could possibly cause the symptoms that I told him. I disagreed because I think if the belt is going bad wouldnt it do it more than once?? Car has been sitting last month and a half. Will try some of the things mentioned when I get back to AZ in a couple weeks.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Latest update of things checked/replaced:

New stuff: Coil, wires, plugs, cap and rotor, distributor, VAF, ignition module, fuel filter, coolant sensor and thermostat.

Checked: Fuel pressure, ignition timing, plugs, codes (none), vacuum lines.

Not sure what next. Will not rest till fixed (or burn car) whichever comes first! :D

Any ideas?? I am tired of throwing $100 parts at it and nothing changes.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Latest update. Replacd the O2 sensor and problem has not occured in 4 days. This might of been problem all along??? Or combination of. WHO CARES IT APPEARS TO BE FIXED. Will keep ya posted!! :D

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well it is officially fixed!!! :) Not sure if the O2 sensor was the culprit all along or if it was a combination of the stuff I replaced. Dont care, no more hesitation/stutter anymore. I apprecitate all the advise everyone gave me :notworthy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.