FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I started up my car, it was making this weird sound like, kind of a screeching but not screeching..... more like, squeeling, but it wasn't like, high pitched. Then it stalled. My dad said it sounds like my alternator is going on me, but that wouldn't be what made my car stall. When I start it sometimes, it idles REALLY low, and when I started it back up tonight, it was going to stall out on me again, but I gave it some gas to keep it running. Any ideas?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
highanddry said:
Listen to your dad. He's smarter than you.

It's your alternator.
But it's not dead yet!!!! It still works!!!! He doesn't even have a clue if that's why the car stalled!!! All he told me was to not buy gas at speedway because he doesn't know what kind of gas they have!!! And now that I got my exhaust fixed, there's a damn little buzzing sound that my dad can't hear because he's deaf. He can hear an alternator that barely squeeks, but he can't hear the buzzing. WTF

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
First step is to charge the battery. Take it out of the car and put it on a quality charger. If you don't have a quality charger, bring it to an advance auto parts store. Their "testing" machine is a progressive charging tester, so when you're done, you'll have a fully charged battery.

The car will run without an alternator, but will not run sustainably. When the battery is depleted, you will be fsked.

gotta run

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm i'll charge it tomorrow, seeing as how i don't have school until monday. then i'll drive 'er up to autozone and maybe have that checked out. tanks guyz :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had similar sympoms with my 91egt. Turns out it was a grounding problem. My engine light would come on when I'd go through a big puddle. That was my only warning. It did that for two years, then this summer my battery died. I put a new one in and it lasted two weeks. Got a boost, brought it to my mechanics. They fixed it for less than 20 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts