FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i´ve got some questions about my A/C. I bought the car last summer and it was horrible because the A/C doesnt work. BUt, its the R-12 refridgerant. I´ve tried having it recharged (NOTE, i didnt do it because that woudl be illegal ;-) ) So, now it still dont work, i mean no cold air completely...
When the system was recharged, it seemed like it did not want to take the refridgerant. So, full tank and still no cold air... What could be my problem. Also, what do i have to do to convert it to R134a refridgerant. I mean, like swap the components(whatever would need swapped, cuz i dont know what needs to be done) how do i do it and what year do they need to be from? PLEASE HELP, summer is approaching and i really dont want to be pimpin in the scort w/out A/C.

·
Registered
211 Posts
rip out the a/c...u dont need it....lol

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that wnt happen...i hate not havin A/C and i think my g/f would bitch about that alot...A/C is a must for that.

Neone else got ne suggestions besides the smart allec?? ;-)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
besides, i wouldnt know how to rip it out even if i tried...hence the reason i´m askin u guys for help...

go figure, i replaced my transmission myself but i cant figure out what part/parts are a/c and how to fix them...HELP!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hmm.....Is your compressor running? I mean, when you turn the A/C on, you should hear it come on. If not, possible causes could be a bad A/C relay (electrical) or compressor clutch or the compressor itself.
If the compressor runs but won´t blow cold, it could be the CCPS (clutch cycling pressure switch) which controls refrigerant pressure. If it´s bad, it could block the air flow through the evaporator fins. Also the evaporator could be bad. Its like a mini radiator that allows heat exchance between the refrigerant and outside air.
Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are not sure of what to check, you might as well call around to the local A/C shops to see who gives free estimates. They can tell you, in a matter of minutes, what is wrong with your system, and what it would cost to fix it. Might be worth going to several, just to be sure.

It could be the clutch, the compressor, itself, or any number of things that could cause your problem. It is not that difficult if you know what to look for, but since you do not, it might be better to punt. Once you find out the problem, and the cost, you could determine whether, or not, you wanted to tackle the problem yourself.

There is a new option for, both, R-12 and R134a, by the way. It is called Duracool. I have no experience with it, but it can replace both. I can only assume that it is cheaper than R-12, but I do not know that. If you want to check it out, hit their website at duracool.com

As for my A/C, it has been misbehaving since last year for the first time in the many miles I have driven. In my case, it is the clutch. I plan on replacing it, or even the entire compressor, if the mood strikes. I wouldn´t, generally, go so far as to replace the compressor, since it works, but it has been turning for quite some time.

Good luck,

Marcus

[ This message was edited by: stripedmx5 on 26-02-2003 08:52 ]

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
:-? I wondered what on earth A/C was - now I´m enlightened, in UK air conditioning means either rust holes or just open the windows ( in a ´scort that is ). ;-)

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
If the system is charged then your A/C clutch isn´t ingaging and needs a new one, or the compressor died on you. There is also relay/´s on the fire wall on the passenger side to tells the A/C to kick on. My A/C clutch went out on my car, :-[ .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Glad we could help out, Foxy. I always assumed you lacked A/C in the UK for the same reason y´all drink warm beer, over there...Lucas refrigerators and A/C units. ; ) Sorry, my friend, I just couldn´t resist.

I speak from experience, though. My dad owned many a auto from your neck of the woods. MGTF, Jaguar sedan, Austin Healy 3000, and, my favorite, the black/red Austin Healy 100-4M with the factory LeMans modifications. The 100-4 has been completely restored to gold medal concours condition and is stored across from my office. 8 )

Have a great afternoon.

Marcus

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
If you do actually live there in Ohio then it can´t be more than 10 degrees outside. why are you worrying about your AC now? I didn´t have AC last summer, and I don´t need it. just weight and useless nonsense. Open your windows. Just tell your g/f that sweating a lot will make her thinner. Then she won´t have to ask you if those pair of pants she just conned money out of you to buy make her look fat. :-]

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I´m worrying about it now because i´ll put it off till summer so it wont actually get around to fixin it till it gets hot out. LAST YEAR was HORRIBLE for heat in ohio...ugh, i hate heat. I WANT MY A/C!!! :-[

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Yeah i remember the summer last year. it was bad. but rolling down the window always solved my problem. Do what you want. I dunno...i guess you could take it to a dealer and ask them how much it´d be to convert it to the new refrigerant...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hehe, yeh.... thats gonna be 500-600 bucks because the shops need to be licensed to work on R12....Meaning having a facility that can seal off vapor from gettin into the atmosphere....Infact, if u are caught tampering w/ an R12 system w/ out this license, you will get felony and a huge fine...

So....no workshop will that car go to...I´ve got a friend who has the license to do it ;-) ...he just doesnt know what to fix on my car since its not what hes used to working on ;-) ...so he just wants to convert it for me so that way i dont have to worry about R12 nemore, but he doesnt know what and or how to replace it and what it looks like and how to take it out...can you help my little friend for me?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, we´ve given you a lot of things to check.
It´ll be a matter of testing to find out which component is actually bad.
If you´re still in the dark, just ask.
Hope you can solve the problem! :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts