FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get the two pins out of the cylinder housing with out having to take the whole mess out.problem is got stranded at gas station.key turned and cylinder broke no power to start no nothing
Ive got the plastic covers off the steerig column switch exposed there are 2 pins holding the cylnder in once I can remove them the lock should come straight out with the key . not sure what the pins are called .kind of metal dowels with a slit they were taped in and are under tension Help :eek:

· Registered
818 Posts
Hrmmm I don't know on that one... I've always just replaced the entire assembly.

If you drop the column down some you can access the two bolts on top of the assembly. The heads will be broken off of those bolts. You'll need a punch and a hammer to tap on them to loosen them then you should be able to use your fingers to thread them out and then you can remove the assembly.

Maybe once you get it off the car, you'll be able to figure out how to disassemble the unit...

· Premium Member
8,425 Posts
As long as the key still unlocks the steering wheel, you can just pop off the plastic end (couple screws tgere to i thibk) where the wires go and manually push the contacts closed to start and drive the car.
Then you wont have to mess with the cylender at all.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure that tab broke off.there's no spring action with the key.the steering wheel will unlock.thre's just no power or dash lights on run and my windows are down! rain on tuesday!
I think the electrical switch part is ok.
manual says remove wheel ,multi function switch etc. what a hassel
not sure if it has an air bag? its a 93 and manual says 94's and up have them.

· Premium Member
8,425 Posts
Dude, did you even read what I said?

Just remove the black box with the wires on the end and manully start the car by closing the needed contacts.
The you can at least close the windows and get the car home.
You dont have to mess with the key cylender at all at this point.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I did some more work on it it's not the electrical switch or the key cylinder.its a broken tab that part of the housing.gos into electrical switch
found this post this is the problem.It is possible for the small 'blade' actuator in the key-lock section of the ignition switch to break. Then the switch would turn okay, but it would not be turning the electrical part of the switch
where can I find that actuator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.