FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 97 manual that is running, sort of. First off it would not start, I said reverse start it and he did, fired up first try. Now it will start up just fine. However it will not rev up above 2700 rpms at all, and it makes quite the effort just to get up that high. So I went out and looked at it.
I checked the plugs, clean with no odd coloring, wires are fine as well. Checked the injectors, at 40, which I think sounds right. Checked firing order, the mass air flow sensor, the fuel filter, pcv valve (It starts and idles better with it unplugged, however the valve and tube is fine), and the throttle body. We seafoamed the car to see if it was just a clog, nope.
I told him now to take off the ignition coil and test it, but it does not look cracked and I doubt that is going to be the issue. I also told him to pull the O2 sensor and clean it, once again I doubt that is the problem. Oh yeah and the belts & hoses are fine. No leaks for oil or radiator fluid and they look fine. I checked the firing order and it matched up to my 2nd gen 1.9l sohc, I don't believe there is a difference.
At this point I am lost, the chip was replaced a little while ago (do not know why, but it was a new chip and installed by the dealership, so that should be fine. He also drove it around the block and that was horrible, very low power. So if anyone has any ideas, please help out. I clicked through a few pages of issues and did not see anything like this so any help would be great.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
+1 clogged cat - also can still be the fuel filter above idle(fuel demand), or the TPS sensor - dirty MAF aswell, misread air flow = too much fuel = bogging

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was kinda hoping I could relay an easy fix. Guess not, lol. Cheap though. And reverse start is pushing the car in reverse and shifting the tranny into reverse to start it. Never thought about why it works, but it does, probably not good for the engine or tranny though. Thank you for the suggestions, I hope we can get it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
reverse is the weakest gear in the transmission, doing that is not recommended. if you need to push start your car, do it in a forward gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts