FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! HELP!!! I recently bought a 94 Mercury Tracer, Manual 1.9.
It's got a parasitic drain on the battery, appears to be associated with the "btm" fuse. So I was just looking around at the wiring. I took radio out, took apart part of dash to see behind it, cover off steering column. I pulled out one fuse at a time from inside fuse panel to check them. When I had "room fuse" out there was clicking coming from under the driver seat. I put everything back together (didn't change anything) and when I tried to start it, chimes sounded, lights in instrument cluster came on, and nothing from the engine. No cranking, clicking...nothing.
The only thing I can think of is that clicking I mentioned from the box under the driver seat. What is that little box for? And most importantly, could that be the reason, my car wont start?

Thanks for the help,
Michele

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Box under the seat is your seat belt control module and it shouldn't have anything to do with starting.

Are you saying this car hasn't started since you bought it or way it starting OK when you got and now things have changed and it won't start??

A couple of things to check:

Clutch pedal switch
Ignition switch
start relay
starter solenoid

I'm sure some of the other folke here will come up with some other issues to consider.

Do you have a Haynes or a Chilton manual for the car ????

You'll need some kind of a manual to help you diagnose the problem.

Good luck and keep us up on what you find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered if that was for seatbelts because they don't move at all now. I bought the car 2 weeks ago. It's been starting fine with the exception of an occasional dead battery due to the short I haven't located yet. I put a new battery on it yesterday (Pepboys test said it wasn't holding a charge, and the alternator is fine). I was looking at the wiring under the dash and hood and found several places where previous owners made modifications to the wiring. Some wires are just cut. I bought a Haynes book but it doesn't help with so many cut wires.
There is no power at the starter.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
OK, explain no power at the starter !

Nothing at the switch post on the solenoid when you attempt to start or nothing at the positive post on the solenoid ???

The start circuit on a standard trans. is farily straight forward.

You turn the key to the start position, the ignition switch applies voltage to the clutch position switch. IF, you've got the clutch depressed and the clutch switch is good, the switch will close sending voltage to the switch post on the starter solenoid.

IF your refering to the switch post ( small post on the solenoid ) has no power ( checked when someone is turning the key to start the car ) then there is a breakdown between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

Could be the ignition siwtch itself or the clutch switch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.