FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay heres the deal might be long but plz read this I need help. Im leaving on 3 hour trip tomorrow and I called my dad and told him I would be coming. He asked if I ever changed my radiator fluid because when he put it in the shop the said the coolant would become very muddy looking. So I take the radiator cap off and look in and I can see a little bit of brown in the radiator. The overflow is dry so I dumped so brand new antifreeze in it. Antifreeze is radiator fluid isnt it? as stupid as they sounds I might have forgotten anyways i dumped antifreeze in the overflow thing and filled it and had brown dirty fluid in it. So I unattached the hose at the bottom of the radiator it be on left side if you were in front of the car and I let all the nasty crap drain out all the dirty stuff stayed in the overflow thing but a lot of nasty water came out of the raditor. I then took the hose then blast water through it to get all the nasty stuff out. I attached the hose and is secure so no leak. I added new antifreeze already pre mixed to radiator then turned the car on. The temp guage seemed to respond a lot quicker then usual it usually stays cold for awhile then starts to go up. Mine went up pretty quick about the L then cooled down a little. I went driving first but when I kept back and let it idle this happened. it a little past the m now and never was with there with the dirty water which has been in it for a few months. I turned it off in the and will check again in the afternoon. Antifreeze is raditor fluid??

·
Registered
493 Posts
yes antifreeze is coolant! now you know there is a drainage plug under the right side of ure rad right?? unscrew it and it comes out alot nicer then the hose u pulled off! but my g/f in her MX3 had the same problem I had to change the coolant every month it was sooo dirty!! but in the spring it all the sudden became green again! so i'm not sure if ure getting dirty from the road in there somehow, or worse it may be oil therfor you having a blown head gasket! I would say do a nice rad flush and f that doesnt help start replaceing the cheap stuff firts like the thermostat! then working ure way up to the radiator!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I hope you drained it into buckets instead of just letting it run down the driveway?

AF is highly toxic to animals so if you have pets you care about.........

·
Registered
657 Posts
For 1Gs, you fill the radiator and then fill the overflow to the correct line level. Run car to get everything circulating and then anything additional is added to the overflow.

As long as everything is working properly, this procedure works great.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Sounds to me like you might have some air bubbles trapped in the cooling system.. i'd get it through a couple more hot/cold cycles to try to work them out. add any further coolant to the overflow bottle. it's sealed, and as the coolant in the radiator heats and expands, it flows into the overflow tank. as it cools down and contracts, it gets sucked out of the tank into the radiaor, completely filling it up properly.

--sarge

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, nothing wrong with my engine I had my rad replaced a few months ago and they warned me that my radiaitor fluid would become nasty but to ust replace the fluid but I was never told that they told my dad since hes the one who put it in the shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts