FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: am wondering on what year was i supposed to get the tps after a swap of throttle body(3.8 or the gt(1st gen) anyway i know they are supposed to have same part number but i just wanna make sure. anyway i pulled a code that says "tps out of range" and i think its code 121 if i remember it right(thanks to snap on scanner)....i just used my old tps from the stock(2nd gen tb)tb and it throws it off for 1.7 volts(.5 volt to 4 volts is the range....thanks for the advice....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey man, I'm havin the same prob. I swapped a 2000 SPI into my 95 LX, using a 97 fuel rail. I'm getting code 121 (tps range) and my car won't idle at all, or barely start for that matter. Did you use the tps from the 1.9L engine? or from a certain year SPI?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I have a 2002 SPI and am running the 2002 TPS sensor with no problems. Initially when I dropped the motor in it wouldn't idle at all. So I had to do a little tweeking and add in a manual IAC valve until the 1.9 ECU got used to the new motor's flow characteristics. Now I don't have the valve on there anymore and it runs perfect.

It's the valve just above the coil pack in that image. It connects to a nipple on the intake tube and then to the vac port on the intake manifold.

Another shot of it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, i got fed up and dropped it at the shop down the street for someone else to look at and run diagnostics on. I was getting code 121(TPS out of range) and some other codes from doing the auto>mtx swap, but all I can get is cold codes because the engine will turn over, but every few seconds, the computer clicks and resets itself. It's a crazy situation. I tried both the 95 and 00 TPS, 95 and 00 IAC, unhooked all of my extra electronics-stereo, amp, PA system, cooling fan switch, tach, everything.
I took out a fuse because the stupid computer under the driver's seat kept making an RRRRRRRR sound, and when I try to use my wipers or hazards the computer makes a fast clicking sound. It kept draining my battery too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
what computer are you referring to, under the drivers seat, that is?

Sounds like one of the filtering capacitors built in to the ecm may have gone bad. just curious anyways, why isnt anyone running the gen-III PCM with the Gen-III engine when they swap it?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
We are lazy and don't want to take the entire harness out of the car. :lol: That and you would need the interior harness and the guage cluster I'm pretty sure. So lots of extra work when the 1.9 can run it just fine.(After it learns it)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.