FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home today, and when I shifted into third, I heard and felt through the shifter a clunking noise. Third engaged. Then shifted to fourth, RPMs indicated it was still in third. Attemped to shift into second, would not engage, same with fifth and first. At a dead stop, I can shift into any gear, but if it is in first, second, fifth, or reverse, the car will not move at all, even if I rev the engine and dump the clutch, it just stalls. Car will not roll down a hill if in those gears, even if the clutch is floored. Im thinking I broke a shift fork. Any and All input Welcome. Please help this fellow scort owner. Until i get this fixed, i have to drive an automatic galant which will not rev over 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I'm not sure what to say. I think your tranny is stuck in third.

Get underneath and see if the linkage under the shifter has come apart - there's a bolt there that might have broken. I really doubt this is an external linkage problem, but it's worth your time to check.

I think you'll find you have no choice but to drop the tranny, if you really want to find out what broke. If you're gonna do that, you might as well drop another one in. I'm with you - I think you have a broken shift fork.

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
yeah do what highanddry said, just inspect the exsternal linkage. When I broke the diff pin on my 96lx it acted simular, the shifter would some times work and some times does'nt.
Sounds like you'll have to pull the tranny.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Inspected the linkage. Linkage looks solid. Makes noise like it is going into gears. can hear reverse gear move into place. When in any other gear than third or fourth, transmission locks up tight. Fourth has the same gear ratio as third does.

·
Administrator
39,324 Posts
1) trany linkage
2) no trany fluid
3) clutch poped
4) gears melted together

if you start it with the clutch in, and put it in neutral and let the clutch out its still stuck in 3rd? if you wind the motor up a bit and feather the clutch while pulling it in and out of gear does that do anything? this happened to my x's car and ended up getting a new one. the synchros were gone.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
feathering the clutch does nothing for it. I am just gonna pull it and put in a newer one

thanks for the input.

Upon removal, im gonna disassemble it to figure out what actually happened to it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts