FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997, 2.0, automatic, 120k,

My motor is locked up and I can't figure out why. I was driving it just fine to my friends new apartment complex and I pulled in and parked. I called him and he said I was on the wrong side of the complex. So I started the car back up, it had a very rough idle and Clanked and Clunked really loud for about a half a sec and then Locked up. It didn't die out, it just ceased up.

Everything I've ckecked so far hasn't given me any real information. The starter won't turn the motor over, I pulled out the spark plugs and tried again with no luck, I took off the valve cover and everything is there with no missing or damaged looking valves or anything like that, I check the timing belt and its fine, oil looks fine, coolant looks fine, I even tried to turn the motor manually with the cam shaft and I couldn't get it to turn.

Please help.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,980 Posts
It probably dropped a valve seat. Did any of the spark plugs look banged up?

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Try turning motor over carefully at the crank. This will give the most leverage. It it doesn't want to turn one way, try the other. If a piece of something is wedging motor, then a teardown is all you can do besides replace it. It doesn't sound like you are hydrolocked or anything. I have seen a jeep 4.0L seize without oil in it, but when it cooled off and oil was in it, it was fine. Just be careful not to cause further damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.