FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i relize that this isn´t a taurus site or anything like that but i can not find a board with this good of response. I have a 1990 taurus SHO and recently i had lost alot of power. The car struggles to even spin the wheels. Recently i had oil leak into the spark plugs and caused them to misfire. I pulled all the plugs and put new ones in and changed my oil to 20W 50 with some lucas oil treatment. After that i still had the same performance no problem. I had gotten a new exhaust wich i think may be causing the problem, but i was woundering if any one could give a second opinion or have any experince with this car. Thanx alot for any help.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Kick ass a SHO, and a 90, so its a 5speed with a Yamaha head right ?

Anyhow, do a compression test...that way you´ll know if its the motor, or something you can fix without pulling the motor. Could be numerous things, air, fuel, compression, or spark....or anything that controls air, fuel, or spark.

You said your plugs were soaked in oil...did you fix the leak ?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Friend of mine had a 95 Taurus with this problem. Check the intake hoses and clamps. 2 of his had come loose (at the same time no less) and was causing unmetered air to get sucked in, leaning it out. His felt like he´d lost a couple of cylinders.

·
Registered
709 Posts
We had an SHO that lost a lot of power for no reason after a tune up. a few days later while driving down the road all of the sudden it came back to life. never could figure out what caused it but for 4 or 5 days after we did a tune up it couldn´t get out of its own way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
alright here we go i am not a expert on sho but i do know a thing or two about them the 3.0 yamaha motors pre 93 had a problem once and a while with bad valve guides which equals low compression and oil consumption not trying to scare you but i just looked at one with this problem and it was big money to fix it he offered the car to me for 850 bucks but these motors are a bear to work on just a little info chet

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to say thanx. The car seams to be realy senastive to the weather. I took her out for a spin tonight and i was able to chirp the wheels into third. Eventualy il figure out why it´s moody every now and then, but i have only had the SHO for a week so we will see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts