FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· 93 1.9 5 speed base 3 door factory 13 in wheels
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the new radiator in because the old one had a bad leak. And decided that something must be wrong with the thermostat cause the temp gauge only would go up about 1/3. So thought while I was at it I would check the thermostat. What a bear to get to. Got the coil and other stuff out of the way the top bolt broke off now matter how careful I was. Thankfully the other 2 came out and with the housing out of the way vise grips got the broken one out. Sure enough the thermostat had one of the support tangs broken and was stuck open. Put in a new stat, gasket and bolt. I noticed the bolt hole had a lot of krud in it and cleaned it some what got a new bolt and put the whole thing back together. Filled with water and started the engine. Water came pumping out the top of the stat housing at or around the same top bolt. So now I am thinking maybe the krud in that bolt hole that had the bolt seized and causing it to break off was some kind of thread sealer like the white permatex thread sealant I’ve used on oil pressure senders etc. So now I will have to take the whole thing apart again and try to seal up that hole. Question is why is water coming out that bolt hole? And should I just do the same as apparently had been done before to seal it up. Namely put a lot of permatex thread sealer on the bolt and try to let it set up before trying to run it again? Or does any one know what I’m up against and have a better idea?
Oh yeah, I put a new hose on the top but how in the H--- can you put a new hose on the bottom without pulling the engine to clamp it on the engine side?
Thanks jmc

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
There isn't any sealer on the bolts. Just some gasket sealer on the engine side, put the new gasket on, put the housing on, and snug down the bolts. I have had the T-stat housing off of these motors 3 times and never had a leak.

As for the lower radiator hose, jack up the passenger side and remove the wheel. Remove the plastic splash shield, the serpentine belt, and maybe the tensioner. Now you should be able to get to the lower hose.

382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks MM for the advice. that bottom hose seems simple enough. I hope gasket sealer and snug it down works on the t stat housing leak. i'll work on it this week end.

382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep Joey i think you're right cause the bolts felt down tight to me when i put them in. I just took the housing off again and the bolts felt tight to back out. mostly the top one. I am looking for a small wire brush or something to clean the holes out before I reassemble. thanks jmc

· Registered
5,229 Posts
Clean the bolt and run it in and out a few times, re-cleaning in between. or get a tap to chase the threads. I like to use thread sealant or even RTV on any bolts that my go into a water jacket. Be sure housing and mating surfaces are flat and not warped as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.