FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You need a new heater core. It's a small radiator that's underneat your dashboard. It's a $100-$200 job at most places, cheaper if you order the part and just have someone put it in for you. It's not exactly easy since you (pretty much) have to take your entire dashboard out to get to it. If you do attempt it yourself, drain as much of the coolant from your engine as possible so you don't get very much into your cabin. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how can i be sure its the heater core? we changed one on my friends camaro... but id like to be sure. thanks

as far as the heat.... it gets like 45 sometimes and in the mornin the windows are foggy :)

thanks

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If your engine is warm, and there is air blowing from your vents when the heat is on, but no warm air is coming out, there is nothing else it could really be.. It's a simple system. The engine pumps hot coolant into the heater core, and the fans pull the air off of the heater core into the passenger compartment. If the fan is working, there's only one other piece to the puzzle.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
:roll: Tito.. wtf?
pballer98c said:
could it be a cable under the dash that switches it to warm thats broken? thanks
Yes.

If your heater core was broken you'd be spilling fluid all over the floor of your car. Do you smell any anti-freeze? If it's plugged, then you can probably disconnect the coolant lines running into the firewall and try to backflush the core with a garden hose.

The valve is located within sight if you lay down in the passenger footwell. Most likely you had a friend kick the cable and it popped off the lever.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I agree, it's more likely your temperature selector switch/cable, if you're notlosing massive quantities of antifreeze.

On my LX, the cable that selects temperature is on the drivers side, not the passenger side (passenger side cable determines venting arrangement). The cable can pop off the retaining post, as beav mentions. Check if the selector switch moves freely all the way from the coldest setting to the hottest. If not, the plastic actuator is not freely moving over the little plastic cam (may be a broken cam or gummed up actuator). If it moves too freely over the entire range, your cable has popped off the retaining post; you can fix this in ten seconds without removing any trim, but you'll look funny upside down in your driver's seat.

If there is nothing wrong with the switch/cable and you're not loosing coolant, you have a plugged core.

Check things in the order above - simplest first, for those of us who are lazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts