FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Last night I was driving on the highway from
Chicago to Indiana during a heavy downpour.
I had serious problems with visibility and the
ride was getting scary when I did not see
the road at some points.

I tried high beams but I did not help much.

One thing I know for sure my headlights are not adjusted.
I put new lenses recently and also installed the German white
bulbs.

Do you guys think my visibility problems were caused by:

1. lack of adjustment of the headlights
2. lack of fog lights
3. weather conditions
4. all of the above

Thank you,

Rob.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rob said:
Do you guys think my visibility problems were caused by:

1. lack of adjustment of the headlights
2. lack of fog lights
3. weather conditions
4. all of the above
Well... if the headlights need adjustment, as you admit, then obviously (1) applies. (2) couldn't hurt, either. As for (3), sometimes weather conditions are so severe they do not allow for very good visibility. As a note, though -- as in foggy weather, you should keep your headlights on "low beam" ... which (should be) aimed more towards the road. High beams in heavy rain/fog are never a good idea...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
When it rains and the road turns black it absorbs the light easily, which is the reason i really hate driving when it's raining.

Fog lamps help 50% of the time. It just depends on how bright they are and if there are any reflectors on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Rob, if your headlights are yellowed, it's time to perform a headlight polish. It's amazing how much better your headlights are after you've polished the lenses smooth (the car's appearance is 3x better too, IMHO).

(the poor US DOT design of the stock headlamps is probably reason #5)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello:

I 100% agree with Beaverboy that
the stock headlamps are of very poor design.

Like I said my headlights are new, I got them
from www.1aauto.com plus the blue bulbs.

At the time I was having the visibility problems
I saw some new models of SUV, light trucks and big cars
were passing me by because their lights lit many times brighter
than mine. Of course the cars I saw have much bigger and more
powerful stock headlights.

So now I can see a benefit of having the BMW headlights.

Rob.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Yeah why car makers use Plastic for headlight assemblies, I don't know. But it does keep the roads clean after an accident (glass shatters...obviously). You shoulda seen the road after I wrecked my Geo...it had glass assemblies that were inset in the hood, I got hit so hard that the whole thing just exploded, took the wrecker 20 minutes to sweep the intersection up.

If you look at my headlights you'll notice just how clean they are, they're brand new assemblies I bought in January of 02, and I still can't seem to see the road when it's dark and raining.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
well I think eventually the bmw swap is going to become quite common and people are going to figure out ways to do it alot easier Than what siragan had to do for it and then its just going to be another simple mod posted as a short how to on feoa 8) Thats just my opinion because the stock headlights do suck. Wasnt zxtuner going to have headlights coming out for 2nd gen?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James:

Did you try to have them adjusted professionally after you
bought them?

I am going to find out tomorrow which shop in my town has
the proper equipment to adjust them.

A quote from the Haynes Repair Manual says:
".. The headlights should be checked for proper aim EVERY 12 months
and any time a NEW headlight is installed .."

Maybe the adjustment can improve the visibility until we ultimately switch to the
BMW lights?

Rob.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
It's not the adjustment of my headlights that makes visibility poor. it's the fact that wet roads reflect the light away from you. When it's dry my headlights are dead on and I can see just fine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
ok here imo is where the real H.I.D. would come in handy. My older brother just spent 600+ on his H.I.D. projector headlights. And man do they light up the road. Im happy with my Eurolite xenon lights, but i do agree, these stock lights suck, suck royally. Now this is all my opinon, and only that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
8O
What everyone said was true but the best product I had to help me in the rain is Rain-X. I put that on and it solved the problem!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I gotcha now, Rob.. all new headlights.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to try to make some projector replacements for the 2nd gen using Hella 90mm projector lamps and custom designed fiberglass housings, but I never do it. :?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a pair of "blue" lights and they were useless in rain or snow.
I ended up going back to stock lights after they blew, and really noticed that the stock ones actually were better in rain/snow.

White/Ultrawhite bulbs or all weather bulbs are much better in the rain.
I tried a pair of white bulbs and noticed a HUGE improvement, now I just got a pair of Sylvania Silverstars and can't wait to see how good they are.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My headlights are gettin alittle yellow and whatnot, but i don't have the time or supplies to clean them properly by myself, and $100 for a new set just doesn't fit my budget.... I always seem to have a problem with my windshield wiper blades.. they always suck and i can't see ANYTHING.. :evil: i've tried completely scraping my windshield clean and applying rain-x.. its helps alittle... but the damn wiper blades, no matter WHERE or what brand I get.. :x they always suck.... I think it just might be here in sunny san diego county the heat messes them up.. so every once in a GREAT while when we get maybe a tenth of an inch of rain.. the blades are already screwwed from the heat or sumthin, who knows... I got some new blades and if I get a second or 2 to spare i'll clean the windshield again and reapply rain x... til then i hope it doesn't rain!

Laci

1 - 14 of 14 Posts