FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reconfigured my headlights so that it is a 4-bulb system, separate for highs and lows, but I'd like to know if there's a way to keep my lows on when my highs come on. Can this be done?

·
Registered
218 Posts
i would assume so. maybe run the wires for your high bulbs, to the lows aswell. then when the highs come on it will still power your lows. im just guessing

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Doesn't work. You'll need to either get a new relay and wire it up custom or just completely re-wire the lighting system, which is what I did for my bimmer headlights. The plus side is that all my lights now go off when I take the key out of the ignition, so no more dead batteries.

You'll figure it out... let the EVTM manual be your guide...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
siragan said:
Doesn't work. You'll need to either get a new relay and wire it up custom or just completely re-wire the lighting system, which is what I did for my bimmer headlights. The plus side is that all my lights now go off when I take the key out of the ignition, so no more dead batteries.

You'll figure it out... let the EVTM manual be your guide...
Do you know anything about the wiring harness to the switch by the steering wheel? Do you know which wires are which? I'm thinking if I bridge the low-beam wire to the general power wire, the low beams will stay on during high-beams.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Project98lx said:
I'm thinking if I bridge the low-beam wire to the general power wire, the low beams will stay on during high-beams.
If you're thinking of bridging the low-beam positive wire over to the high-beam positive, then you end up running both lights in both low and high beam positions on the combonation switch.
Mind you that the high and low bulbs use a common ground.

I forget the wiring configuration off the top of my head, but it's listed in the back of the haynes manual and in the EVTM manual. Just gotta do a little digging and spend some quality bonding time with your multimeter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not exactly what I was planning. I was planning on bridging the power wire to the low beams with the power wire to the parking lights....just need to figure out which wires are which...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yeah some ZX2 guys did that. That's not a very good idea... they're using 16 and 18ga wire and stock fuses on more than double the power load. On top of that, it's sloppy work.

I routed completely new 14ga wire to all the lights and ran a custom fuse box to back it all up. It took a bit of work, because I routed all the wires through the dash and firewall, and everything was soldered and shrink-wrapped, but the work is quality stuff.

If you want to do some digging around, the BMW headlight relay may suit your needs. Don't run both bulbs off just the high lead of the relay though, because it wasn't designed for it, and you could screw up the relay. Chances are you'll have to do a bit of digging if you want to use relays, but it's the appropriate path to take.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
siragan said:
Yeah some ZX2 guys did that. That's not a very good idea... they're using 16 and 18ga wire and stock fuses on more than double the power load. On top of that, it's sloppy work.

I routed completely new 14ga wire to all the lights and ran a custom fuse box to back it all up. It took a bit of work, because I routed all the wires through the dash and firewall, and everything was soldered and shrink-wrapped, but the work is quality stuff.

If you want to do some digging around, the BMW headlight relay may suit your needs. Don't run both bulbs off just the high lead of the relay though, because it wasn't designed for it, and you could screw up the relay. Chances are you'll have to do a bit of digging if you want to use relays, but it's the appropriate path to take.
Well, I've already upped the fuses to double load, and I'm running less power (35w) to my low-beams, in other words, HID's, so as far as overloading the wires, that's not a big deal, and my front blinker light wires are not being used as I've rewired the blinker wire for high beams. The "parking light" wire could be used to power the low beams, minus the gauge problem.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hrm. I'd check the haynes manual about the power output that the relay is capable of to the parking lights. As for the high beams, you're using the blinker wire? Er... um. I dunno what to say. Everything sounds backwards as hell.

Check out the combonation switch. There's gotta be an easy way to re-wire it. Start out by figuring out all the input/output signals to the headlight relay, and then work backwards. You may even be able to run dual relays if you need to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts