FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the mani off the scort yesterday. It's a 89 CFI now, I know the HO header fits and the O2 sensor reaches, but what do I do about the EGR??? The line is just hangin there that connected to the mani. Will this make the scort run like crap? I think the CEL will go on too. I have to pass emissions but then new exhaust will have a free flow cat so It should pass except the egr problem I think. Anybody??? Help???

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Should just be able to plug the EGR tube. You could always weld it to the header to make it look connected. :wink:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ya i need some help on this too..
it looks like the top of the EGR pipe will just attatch up near the TB like it should (after some bending&twisting) and that bung-hole coming off the EGR pipe can be attatched with the EGR hose. that other skinny hose on the opposite side near the end collector can get plugged.

i wanna hear what others have done. you could maybe use the exsiting EGR pipe off the newer 1.9 and bend it down to the end collector of the HO header. This looks impossible because that EGR pipe ain't comin off those HO headers without breaking shit . and thats when the welder comes out and you can just do the whole system nice and custom anyways.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If you don't want to remove/plug it, you can either do what was mentioned above and weld a bung on your new header or you can also get a feed off of your intake tube(will put fresh air into the EGR instead of hot exhaust). Both will keep the CEL off. If you take it off and block it like I did the car will run fine, but the CEL will come on. Such is life.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Could one make a custom EGR tube with a stainless braided hose for high temp? guess it would be easy to route it all the way up to the EGR valve on the intake mani.... Might be cheaper to just bend 1 inch tubes tho....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Electronikal said:
Could one make a custom EGR tube with a stainless braided hose for high temp? guess it would be easy to route it all the way up to the EGR valve on the intake mani.... Might be cheaper to just bend 1 inch tubes tho....
Sure, as long as it flows hot gasses safely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Without the EGR tube hooked up the car WILL NOT pass an E-test. Most steel Braided Lines are either a rubber or a teflon line with a stainless braiding on the outside they will Not work for exhaust gas.. Plus it's easy as Pie to weld a bung in the new header to attach the EGR tube too.. But having the EGR tube not hooked up won't make your car run Badly althought it will most likely (depending on the year) tuen on the check engine light..

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
arrg it should make it run badly..mine doesnt with the egr blocked off.. i dunnoabout 1st gens tho.. noonne with teh 2g or 3g with the ho no egr has had problems with there car running like poo, at least from that anyway. the ho header is a great mod.. and yea i still would liek to reconnect the egr someday.. someday.
-Justin

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have the EGR tude that attatches to the front of the stock gen2 1.9L exhaust mani.

(i know some early models might not have one at all)

You should try and reconnect the EGR tube off the HO header into the EGR collector and connect that hose. I ripped off that skinny hose. It had melted a hole in itself where it contacted the EGR tube, so i figured it wasn't doing anything useful, plus i checked my system and there was only that one hose that attatched the HO EGR tude bunghole.

BALLER!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Recrdholdr said:
Without the EGR tube hooked up the car WILL NOT pass an E-test. Most steel Braided Lines are either a rubber or a teflon line with a stainless braiding on the outside they will Not work for exhaust gas.. Plus it's easy as Pie to weld a bung in the new header to attach the EGR tube too.. But having the EGR tube not hooked up won't make your car run Badly althought it will most likely (depending on the year) tuen on the check engine light..
True, you would need stainless line that is not lined with the typical rubber hose. Like he said it would probably be easier to weld up some hard line.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I'm sure a cutting torch and a welder could solve the problem of being too low.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I've got the old (wrong firing order) Pacesetter and I'm looking at switching to the H.O. Wish I would have known about the H.O. header back when I got the Pacesetter. Cost me an arm and a leg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts