FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, guys! I bit the bullet and bought a head and pistons (another valve seat drop. Yay).

I have cleaned everything (including deck and manifolds) and I'm about to drop the new head in; however, I want to know if I should cover the new head gasket in Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket, given the block state and the gasket material.

It's a FEL-PRO 9309PT2 and it appears to be composite.

Should I or should I not coat the gasket in copper?

I'll try to attach images of the gasket and the cylinder deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,078 Posts
That gasket looks like it's MLS, not composite. I've never used that copper spray and I haven't had any issues. My co-worker however, uses it all the time and also hasn't had any issues that I know of. I guess it's up to you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Aren't MLS gaskets layered and held together with rivets, like the one in this link?

Mine has no rivets and is just one layer.

My previous gasket was also a FEL-PRO 9309PT2 but I installed it bone-dry.

·
Administrator
39,557 Posts
lots of schools of thought on this topic... personally I have never used any spray on any head gasket, but my old cellmate at the dealership did it on every single one.. used to be a more common thing with graphite composite gaskets, not really a thing with msl gaskets.

·
Registered
1988 EXP 2.0l H.O on bike carbs.
440 Posts
Unless it spayed to spray I would eave it as is.

lots of schools of thought on this topic... personally I have never used any spray on any head gasket, but my old cellmate at the dealership did it on every single one.. used to be a more common thing with graphite composite gaskets, not really a thing with msl gaskets.
You served hard time at the steeliership? What were you in for?

·
Administrator
39,557 Posts
I did 12 years. Honda, jeep/dodge, independent. my cellmate at the independent store did nothing but fords everyday. I kept telling him to get a cat scan lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts