FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so, it seems as though I have a nasty compression leak, and a bit of a knocking in cylinder #2, coming from the intake valve(well, one of them at least). And, I believe i'm going to have to be looking at a new head gasket soon enough. I also believe this may be what is giving me fairly poor mileage. for my 94 EGT 1.8L, about how much would I be looking at spending for a new head gasket through say, a Mazda dealer??? I could just get my uncle's shop to install it, or if nothing else just take it over to my buddy's house and have his dad help me (he worked with the 1.8L's when they started using them, plus he's got more tools than the Snap-On dealer.) But, just a rough estimate as to what this may cost me????

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I don't know about the part cost, but do it yourself, or at least help out. I just found out how important doing your own work really is.

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
803 Posts
Head gasket shouldn't cost much, it's the labor that can get expensive. I would suggest getting that head over looked an possibly overhauled since it's going to be off the car. It's best to check for a cracked head than to put it back on and find out later. A head gasket kit for my 1st Gen cost about $70.00. 93EGTinLR did 99.9% of the labor on the work on my Scort which is back on the road now. :wink:

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
The head bolts for your car are obsolete from Ford. Some guys claim certain Mazda bolts are the same but neither Ford nor Mazda has a cross-reference to each other's parts. You should be able to find a dealership with a set stockpiled somewhere (there were three whole dealers in all of Canada with those bolts when I checked during the summer).

Buy an entire gasket set - comes with everything you need and more. I think some guys have said they've found gasket sets with the head bolts included, but I'd be surprised.

Rough figures (Canadian dollars):

Gasket set: $120
Set of Head Bolts: $120
Coolant: $15
Head Magnaflux and Decked: $80
Valve Work if Needed: ???

My recommendation - buy a replacement engine. It's not worth the time.

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
803 Posts
Believe it or not...my head gasket kit came with new head bolts. :wink: I was actually surprised about that myself.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
highanddry said:
The head bolts for your car are obsolete from Ford. Some guys claim certain Mazda bolts are the same but neither Ford nor Mazda has a cross-reference to each other's parts. You should be able to find a dealership with a set stockpiled somewhere (there were three whole dealers in all of Canada with those bolts when I checked during the summer).

Buy an entire gasket set - comes with everything you need and more. I think some guys have said they've found gasket sets with the head bolts included, but I'd be surprised.

Rough figures (Canadian dollars):

Gasket set: $120
Set of Head Bolts: $120
Coolant: $15
Head Magnaflux and Decked: $80
Valve Work if Needed: ???

My recommendation - buy a replacement engine. It's not worth the time.
My reply, I only have 69,000 miles on the engine that's in the car. It's the one that was installed when the car was built. If I can make everything last until this summer when I can do work on it, then I'd rather spend a bit of money to get the engine I have running right.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
black93scort said:
umm at autozone its like $200 for a secong gen because my car had a bad head gasket when I bought it so I checked it out. its like 200+
whle kit?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
rascal said:
Believe it or not...my head gasket kit came with new head bolts. :wink: I was actually surprised about that myself.
I was surprised by this also...I did gaskets on another Ford product not long ago and had to get the bolts separately....one thing to be sure on though is to check whether or not the ehad bolts are "torque to yield bolts" if they are then you NEED to replace them, if they are not then check them over before reuse...either way you go at it if you are planning to use the car for motorsports or using power adders then I would reccomment installing new bolts...better to spend now than spend more later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts