FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so today, since I have put my winter tires back on, I wanted to test my braking with them. I was on a nice clear stretch of road, so I decided to just lay them on. The car was breaking quite nice (skidding nicely in the rain) but then all of a sudden, I noticed that my power braking and steering were gone, saw that the check engine and batter lights and all that crap were on, and then reliased that the car had shut off. I had to put it in neutral and start it so that I could finish braking (I needed it back to pump the brakes cause the stop sign was now coming up fast) and I saved it, didn't go thru the stop sign, but I don't know why it stalled. I have a 96, 1.9L no upgrades or nethin.... I was also wondering, does anyone else have to pump their brakes when they first start their car so that they work properly? I nearly rear ended my friend today, because my brakes didn't kit into full right away - had ot pump them 4 or 5 times before I got full braking. I just had brake work done recently, the brake fluid was topped up, and I don't believe that there is any leaking (although there is a slight leak developing under my car, but I never see it before it dries up). Any help would be great!

·
Registered
874 Posts
What was you fuel level at when you stopped hard? Also do you have an Auto or a Manual tranny? My first thought was the fuel pump shutoff switch but since it started back up that probably wouldn't have caused it. If you had low fuel you might have uncovered the fuel pump and lost fuel flow for a sec. If you have an Auto tranny it could also be caused by the Torque converter not unlocking totaly when you slamed on the brakes. As far as the pumping the brakes thing goes did that happen before or after the hard braking you described in this thread. If it was after you could have blown a seal in your Master Cylinder. I did that in my Mustang once when some idiot lock their brakes and did a 180 in the middle of the freeway. I slamed on my brakes to avoid hitting anyone, and later noticed a conciderable lag in the time it took my brakes to apply after that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If your car was in gear, skidding, and you release the brakes, there is a chance that the front tires caught traction and stalled the engine before the computer could pump enough fuel into the engine to keep it running. I wouldn't worry about that at all, unless it happens again.

As for your brakes needing to be pumped. There is air in your brake lines. You need to bleed the lines. It's pretty simple, open a bleeder screw, pour brake fluid in the master cylinder resevior, keep it full while the line gravity bleeds. Close the bleed screws. Do this with all 4 brakes. Then have a friend pump the brake pedal about 15-30 times while you keep the master cylinder full of fluid. When the pedal gets it's resistance back, you are done.
By the way, this is caused more often by accelerating quickly and stopping quickly. Like going fast between stoplights and slamming the brakes.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pumping brakes was this morning, have over 1/2 a tank of gas, auto tranny (unfortunatly), tried it after, and seems to not have that problem any more, brakes still working well... will do that with the brake fluid, and ummmmmm, I never have the pumping problem after I have fully stopped once, not even in going from lights to lights quickly. Thanks for the help, and if anyone else knows why it may have stalled, and something that I can do to check, lemme know!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
could it not be a vaccume leak in the break booster? im not positave... it would not be fuel level because his check engine came on.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
his CEL came on because the car stalled and all gauge lights come on then.

if the power brake booster was bad, the pedal would be rock hard. it would brake as if the pedal were all the way at the top and the car was off.

·
Registered
235 Posts
yeah, a vac leak in the brake booster would be like braking while the engine isn't running. I'll bet my honor that it's air in the brake lines.

Do you have an auto? I stalled out an auto mirage a few times doing 360s in wet grass, because when you get turned backwards at 40mph in a spin, the wheels align and catch traction, turning the transmission backward, stalling the car. We figured that putting it in neutral and turning the wheel all the way the other way will take care of the stalling problem. And yes, we intended on ruining this car.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
RedIntake said:
And yes, we intended on ruining this car.
LMAO!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
FordBoy4ever said:
could it not be a vaccume leak in the break booster? im not positave... it would not be fuel level because his check engine came on.
That's my guess.

If you lost your power brakes when the engine stalled, you either have a leak, or the the check valve isn't working. You should still have power brakes after the engine dies, otherwise.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, if I check the codes, will anything show up? As most of you know, I don't do my work myself, as I get it done cheap. Should I just bring it to the shop and ask them to check that stuff out???

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Humm...Once my battery died on me and so did my alternator while i was cruising down town...and i had no Power steering and no power brake either.....

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my battery didn't die, I still had my music goin the whole time! That's y I didn't notice the engine had shut off.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well technically as long as the car is a manual and in gear when the motor dies and you don't have the clutch in it will still have power brakes. Now if it's an auto, you will lose those power brakes since the brake booster works off the engines' vacuum. Loose vacuum and you lose your power booster. 8)

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it is an automatic (unfortunatly) so that would explain that problem.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
you will still have power brakes unless your a freakin girl and PUMP PUMP PUMP PUMP... i can get going 100mph and shut my car off and stop it with power brakes. there is still vacuum automatic or not, the vacuum doesnt just shut off, you just cannot pump it or you will release the vacuum.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the problem was I needed to pump it, it was sliding across the wet ground, approaching an intersection. I already had them locked up and they were stayin locked just fine.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
FordBoy4ever said:
you will still have power brakes unless your a freakin girl and PUMP PUMP PUMP PUMP... i can get going 100mph and shut my car off and stop it with power brakes. there is still vacuum automatic or not, the vacuum doesnt just shut off, you just cannot pump it or you will release the vacuum.
Not the greatest idea, but true if you are in the brakes before the motor dies it will retain power till you let off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts