FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I installed a new bov the other day and every since the car has felt like a rocket and runs great except my MBC doesnt hold the boost at 10 psi where its set. Sometimes it does other times it will boost to 15+psi. And this is scary for me b/c im running the stock fuel pump. Im wondering if i take the MBC off will the wastegate keep the boost down? I know its 8psi stock but i have a 2.5" dp and 2.25 catless exhaust will it boost over 10? I need this fixed by tomorrow so i can go to phila with my car. thanks

·
Administrator
39,450 Posts
if the wastegate is set for 8 psi it will open at 8 reguardless of what other mods you avhe. its a piston that moves with air basically. the ony way it would change is if you did something to the actuator rod. what kind of mbc r u useing? what kind of bov?maybe your bov isnt tight enough and its leaking above 8 psi. i konw i can set mine to open at any boost pressure. that way i dont need a mbc lol.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wow, yea man 15psi on that stock fuel pump is asking for trouble.

I imagine with that larger downpipe, you may hit 10lbs without the boost controller installed.

i didn't realize u had one. btw, what kind of boost controller do you have? so I know which one NOT to get :wink:

i planned on a TurboSmart :?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
marclar said:
if the wastegate is set for 8 psi it will open at 8 reguardless of what other mods you avhe. its a piston that moves with air basically. the ony way it would change is if you did something to the actuator rod. what kind of mbc r u useing? what kind of bov?maybe your bov isnt tight enough and its leaking above 8 psi. i konw i can set mine to open at any boost pressure. that way i dont need a mbc lol.
so what your saying is that when i went from 2.25in exhaust to 3in. i did not pick up 4psi? with out a boost controller i was running 13-14psi on the stock VJ20 turbo. and then when i went to the hybrid turbo. useing the same waste gate just a bigger compresser wheel. and i used the same BOV and exhaust i was using. and i put a boost controller on it and it would run as much boost as i wanted it to do. i had it at 19psi with a stock GTX waste gate. if you restrict the amount of VAC. the waste gate gets the more boost it will hold.

and if you can set your BOV to a let off at boost i dont think your car would be all that fast. because say you have it "set" for 9psi. once you hit 9psi your BOV would open and you would loose all that air. and more then likey make your car jolt. the adjustment on the BOV is for when it will shut fast enough when it lets off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I fixed my problem, plan and simple ebay bov's suck. I had to spend an hour polishing the inside on the bov to get it so everything moved freely inside. I only over boost sometimes now but my car is sidelined until i get another bov and fuel pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.