FEOA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today i just got my GTX running in my 95 GT and its runing really rich and wont idle at all. i took it for a test drive and it hit boost pretty good (8 psi w no problem) at the beginning but i think i hit boost cut, thats when it started running bad. i set the timing at 10* and sprayed all of the couplers w starting fluid- there was no vac leaks when its kinda idleing it was at -18hg. after the drive i pulled the plugs and they are very black and built up w carbon- thats running rich right?

the swap is a full GTX w the BP26 ecu. i did all the repining for the ecu, a 4 wire tps, i swapped the fuel rail and FPR from the GT, along w the temp sensor, FMIC w 2.5 in piping, Greddy type-rs BOV, and the stock VAM and didint wire up a knock sensor.

when i put the engine in everything connected right up except for this one white pulg that has a yellow w red stripe wire on it- its back by the starter... could that have anything to do w the problems? and does anyone know where that plugs in at??

also i have it running from the open downpipe, could that also be a problem?

i have been on this site and club portege alot and searched alot about it, but cant seem to figure out the problem.

also what color is the wire at the ecu for 1M, i understand that is a ground or someting for the boost cut- should i cut that? but even if i cut it i dont think it would have anything to do w it running rich and not holding an idle... i heard of people cutting the 2S which is the overboost warning buzzer- would that make any difference? i can post pic of anyting if needed

any help would be great. thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so this morning i started it up and it actually idled but was missing bad. still running very rich though and now at idle my vac was at -10hg. i pulled my plugs and they are still black and smelled like fuel bad. is there a way to tune the stock VAM???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the stock GT VAM U code. how do you tune it? that screw on the outside of it???
yes i do have a AFR guage but it only a narrow band

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone?????
i tried to tune my VAM today and it didnt do anything. it still running rich. i uesd this post as a guide http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... air+sensor
it idles fine and runs good when the fuel cut off contact in the VAM is not touching. but as soon as it touches the engine bogs out, runs rich again and blows out black smoke. could my FPR be bad?
also when i probe to find the 3.8v w the key in on position i dont got anything close to the readings. i get .012v.

·
Registered
47 Posts
dude i have the same problem!!!!!! WTF same f ing thing man. i dont know what is going on. i think im going to look for a rx7 vaf. anyone have a gtx vaf for sale? where you located?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i live near clevland OH. but ya i found the problem i just had to tune the VAM. it runs pretty good now but tuning that thing was a bitch and its really sensitive it seems. i think mine is still running a bit rich

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it runing great! i connected the exhaust up for now and it seems to fix alot of my problems i was having. i still have the stock VAM but tuned it, im planning on getting a RX7 soon

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a wideband. I bet you could get the vaf tune pretty much dead on with a wideband. My boy bomsoutscort runs a gt vaf on his gtx setup and it runs fine.

BTW feoa and cp need to do a ohio meet ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya i plan on getting a wideband soon, but gotta get some money first haha

Yes we need an ohio meet soon!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i got another problem....
i took it on a long trip yesterday and when im on the highway doin about 75, when i hit the gas and the vac is anywhere from -10 to 0 i can hear the turbo build boost but the car sputters and misses alot. once i get on it and hit 5 psi or more it pulls real good and there is no problem. but just trying to keep the car around 75 the vac hits -10 and runs horrible. i lowered the boost back down to the stock 8 psi cause i thought the turbo was just trying to build too much boost or something but it does the same thing even if i have to boost set at 10 or 12 psi... is common for all turbo cars to run this way??
by the way the cars runs fine when i am at -10 to -20 vac, i just cant pick up speed unless i get into the boost...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Its called boost creep and boost cut. The creep is from the load at a higher gear. When it creeps it makes the ecu cut. It sucks we know. Best way around it is megasquirt but its kinda expensive for the plug n play kit and you need to know how to tune it also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i read up on boost creep and it does not seem like thats it, but definitely sounds like boost cut or someting. but actually it has not been doin it lately, and i have not even done anthing to tune it since then haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts