1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
save your money.....

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
why? i have heard those work very well for what they are... crank0r from erdt and crank0r.com just sold his gtr wagon and got a brand new subie wagon. he has done some bolt ons and had it dyno'd the dyno said like 223 hp and he got a gtech a couple days later that said 220 hp or like 221... for what they are they are very accurate and for 35 bucks you cannot beat that price.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
It's nothing more than a strain gauge (accelerometer). Even I could make one. It's not really clculating horsepower at all.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
ok make one... all the more power to you... but these are really cool gadgets... telling you

- 0 to 60 mph time
- 1/4 mile elapsed time (E.T.)
- 1/4 mile trap speed
- Instantaneous lateral acceleration (G s)
- Sustained lateral acceleration (G s)
- 60 mph braking distance
- Instantaneous braking Gs
- Sustained braking Gs
- Horsepower

if you can make something accuratly tell you all of that for less than 35 bucks props... but if not like everyone else on this board this is a good bang for your buck mod tester. beats spending 35 bucks for 3 dyno pulls at a dyno (without tuning) when you can have as many pulls as you want including tuning. especially when alot of folks here are no where close to a real dyno.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I couldn't make one for $35 and it wouldn't look as nice either :lol: .

But all it does is calculate force by measuring change in resistance in a conductor (resistance changes with force as length and cross-sectional area change).

My point was that all the features it has are based on this principle. Some people may be fooled into thinking they're buying a state of the art dyno or something and they are not. What it can do and does is calculate acceleration/deceleration and use an input for vehicle weight to calculate horsepower, without measuring crank or wheel torque at all. It may even be reasonably accurate too.

It may seem like interesting info, but I think within a month you'd be wondering why you spent $35 on it - it's just a gadget. I just don't want people to be fooled.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
highanddry said:
Don't get me wrong. I couldn't make one for $35 and it wouldn't look as nice either :lol: .

It may seem like interesting info, but I think within a month you'd be wondering why you spent $35 on it - it's just a gadget. I just don't want people to be fooled.
Better to wonder why one spent $35 on something that is not really that useful than to have spent the $100 they used to sell for or the $200-$250 that the brand new ones sell for...

·
Registered
441 Posts
resistance changes with force as length and cross-sectional area change
If you do that, you'll probably get in trouble. Or is that what she said?

35 bux is like 2 tanks of gas. I'm a poor college student.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
i have one, i bought it on ebay 2 yeasr ago for 35 as well.

although i realize its just an acclerometer that calculates g-force and rate of accel given a calibrated speedo of 0 and relative speeds thereafter, thats whats its sposed to do and what i need it for.

the only time its not accurate is in the hp ratings where the user is required to enter the vehicle+cargo+driver weight.

other than that, its accurate, but not precise all the time. and thats enough for me.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
the switch on it has a couple positions, one for accel like 1/4 mile and 0-60, and another for Gforce and hp.

you set the switch to the position you want, then push it in. you mount it on the windsheild and tilt it tilt he calibration number is as close to 0 as you can get it, then push the button again.. then let her rip when it says GO!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just bought a GT2 timer with memory and the software to download to the computer, at near full price. When the weather breaks I'll be using it to measure tire differences, mod changes, every solo run I make, and I'll even compare it to the chassis dyno I used last year! In go karting you can buy a unit from Pi for $2000 + and train yourself how to drive fast. $200 is a bargain!!!!

Besides you can put it in any car and do all sorts of stuff. All good racing teams do some sort of data aquisition to tune their vehicles, basically you won't win without it.

For drag racers you can do 1/4 miles and never have to wait two hours for one run and get caught up in mind games at the light.

Wish I would have waited to see one on ebay!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts