FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this topic with no results. Has anyone successfully installed a trailer/towing hitch on their 2nd gen GT? I'm looking to get a light trailer but don't see where there's clearance for the hitch. Please advise if you've done this w/out cutting bumper. TIA.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
the closest thing i have seen to what you're asking, is that i have seen a '95 LX with a hitch (the bumper was not cut)... i imagine it wouldnt be any more difficult to put in for a GT... but then again, i have never tried to put on a hitch myself.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I actually had a trailer hitch on my car, I removed it to save some weight and I never used it. I still have all of the hardware for it if you want it, or just want me to do a little illustrated how to. It really shouldn't be any different than one a GT would use.

My bumper wasn't cut to install it, and I removed it myself without any problems. I'm not sure if holes had to be drilled or not, but I can send you pictures of how it was on if you want to compare, once I find the USB cable for my digicam of course.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul, yeah pictures would be a definate plus. My concern was that the GT bumper sticks down lower than an LX. Not sure by how much and whether it's enough to make any difference. The illustration might help me determine whether it would work on mine.

I've debated getting a cheap truck, or buying a mini-van which would serve double-duty as kid carrier for the wife and hauling stuff on weekends. A small trailer on the back of the GT would work just as well and cost considerably less than either. Mini van may still be a future addition.

Oh, by the way everyone, I was cleaning up storm damage from the hurricane and tied a rope to my rear toe hook and connected to the partially fallen tree out back, little GT pulled that thing right down! We got it on video in case the tree hit the car, of course that wouldn't happen though, I'd measured the rope to make sure I had plenty of safe area. It's neat to watch though.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, if you want it, and if we determine that it fits fine, you can have my old trailer hitch, I've got no need for it any more. I'll sell it to you real cheap, or we could trade for it (you'de still have to pay shipping of course).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.