FEOA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the 2nd-gen GT cars have a different front stabilizer-bar from the LX cars? I know that the rear is different - how about up front? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I'd be curious to know if the front swaybars are any different on the models. Specifically, i'd like to find one that's smaller than the factory 3rd gen SE front bar.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Yes, the GT's front are larger; so the bushing are different also. I am unsure of thickness difference, but when I converted an LX into my GT, I noticed the GT bar larger and used it in conjunction with an additional Suspension Techniques 3/4" bar in the front and 7/8" in the rear. The car is super tight and stays flat in the hardest of turns. I have only had the car come around on me while avoiding a dog; close call.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a digital mic. to measure the rear sway bars about 3 months ago on a pony compared to the GT sway bar I took off a u pull it car and the pony bar was exactly the sme size I think 23.something if I'm not mistaken it has been a few months...

·
Registered
449 Posts
yeah, i think the LX front is 3/4" while our third gen/zx2 one is 1". I was thinking I had read the GT had a 3/4" front as well, but I could be wrong...rears are the ones I know more about

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
my 2nd gen had stock front whatever it was and a 24mm progress rear and it was way off balance

now my 3rd gen with the gt rear is neutral bliss. way better

i guess I could experiment with stiffer in the rear, but its not worth wasting the money at this point

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Well the reason i ask is that i'm running a 3rd gen sedan bar up front and a GT bar in back. At the last autocross i decided to disconnect the front bar up and see if that would give me a little less understeer.
HOLY CRAP did it ever! Now, we were on a new course (really really green) but it was AMAZING how much more grip i had in the corners. The only problem was that it gave very little warning before the back end snapped around. I think a smaller bar up front would be perfect but my other options are to go with a smaller rear bar and stiffer springs all around to manage the body roll, which is an eventual goal anyway (stiffer liner rate springs).

But for now, if i could find a cheap junkyard solution that will make me more competitive, i would be happy.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
a GT bar will be a bit smaller, an LX bar smaller still. you'll have to do some finangling to get frame mount bushings though, the 3g brackets are larger.

IMO you might be happer with a larger rear bar... i don't do any autox but my GT feels very balanced with the 3g front/ ST rear setup. then again it also has ground controls....

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I've already got the GT rear and with the stock front bar its WAY too tight. With the front bar disconnected it's just a little too loose. I'd like it to give me a little more warning before it comes around on me.
I'm running the Eibach Pro-kit with Tokico S/R setup so the springs are a little soft for autocross to begin with.

But it sounds like the 2nd gen LX front bar is the smallest followed by the GT and then the 3rd gen huh?

·
Registered
449 Posts
the second gen lx has a 19mm/.75" bar which is what i'm using. it's much stiffer than stock but not the overkill that many zx2 guys claim with the 21. on steep parkinglot entrances i can still pick a wheel up, I have the es kit on it also

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Okay, so I have the 95 LX-Sport, which other than the Tokico blacks and slightly larger Insurance, (NEthing labeled sport where I live gets +$10 a month on insurance) is just like the base LX. Body-roll has been a burden since I had this car, kindda got used to the lack of it in my Wagon and my Pony. So to beef up the roll, I should find 3rd Gen front, EGT or Focus ST rear Sways?

I know thats only a bandade for my now dieing Struts in the front, but If I can come across a parts car in the near future, be looking for those? Struts and Springs will be added as soon as I can get my finances stabilized, kindda bad as I was out of work for 13 months.

I do however need the middle sway bar bushings NEways, so I prefer to get the sway bars b4 then. Kindda imbarrasing to explain the load slap in the middle of the car when I brake hard and go around winding turns :oops:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts