FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, going to /finally/ be getting my GT header this weekend, if things hold out good.

Just wondering if anybody knows ~how much it costs to have someone relocate your cat and weld a 2.25" custom catback on, if it's considered 'legal' and if I'm likely to find a place that'll do it. (Okay, maybe that last is a bit pointless, because seems like I hear a lot of people running around with no cat.) Also, can they use the stock muffler/cat, and if so, would it be better to go ahead and get new ones anyways?

Feel free to bitch at me for not searching now.
[/lazy]

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. Anywho... I haven't really had this done before, and I can't weld myself. So, do I just take it to Midas and say 'weld that exhaust on there biatch'?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Erg. For the GT header you have to /move/ the catalytic converter because it's bigger/longer than the stock manifold. So are you saying if I took the exhaust off and drove it there with a header, /gave/ them the cat+muffler off the stock, and said 'put these on with the header I put on' they wouldn't do it for under like 200 bucks? I'm trying to think of another place that does cheap work/exhausts.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude 400 is a ripoff, my mom got an entire exhaust for her Saturn, pipes, muffler, cat, and all, for like 2-300, FROM THE DEALER... So... I'd think it'd cost less than that... I guess the only thing to do is start calling places up. :roll:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, haven't bought it yet. But I got some money and I found a place that sells them, so... Yeah. What I'm planning on doing is tearing the old exhaust off, putting the GT header on then driving it to wherever can make me a custom exhaust. (Yeah it'll be loud but if anybody pulls me over I'll just say 'I'm on my way to get it fixed')

Anyways, so the header /will/ be on there when I get it worked on.

·
Registered
624 Posts
its going to be a pain in the arse!

hey do you have 2 O2 sensors?? if so you will be eliminating the one after the cat right? and i have some thing that will make you only need to replace one O2 sensor the rest of your cars life!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I have 2 or three, I think. Won't the ECU throw you a CEL though if you remove an O2 sensor?

You mean ripping off the exhaust? I've got nice big ramps, it shouldn't be any big deal getting it off. Not any more of a pain than changing my oil, really, I don't think. /Unless/ the exhaust is welded onto the bottom of the car, in which case it's going to be a giant pain and I'll probably just buy the header and wait until I have a little more money to get the whole system done.

·
Registered
624 Posts
no there is alot of things that get in the way!

you prob have 2 and the HO headder eliminates the second one! i have an extra dummy O2 sensor if you are interested. be careful after you get the headder installed it sits 2-3" lower than the old piping

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really? Maybe I'll save a bit of money and stick on the SPI Focus shorty header then, it's more expensive but it bolts on directly... And if the HO header sits lower and I lower my car, then it's going to scrape a lot.

·
Registered
624 Posts
actualy the spi shorty headder will mealt the crap out of you cooling fan casing. actualy it realy dosent scrape much my scort is lowered 3" and it hasnt scrapped yet

·
Registered
624 Posts
if you have an EGR valve that connects in some way to your exahust manifold the HO headder will eliminate that and give you a CEL

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I know it will but the casing /really/ doesn't matter... But anyways, that's good to hear.

So you got it done, though? Where'd you have it done and... Did it really cost 400 to have your exhaust put back on?

·
Registered
624 Posts
i am running no cat right now but i ordered a high-flo cat from a local performance shop and will have it complete soon, i also need to reconnect my egr valve to the exahust headder some how!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So wait you can just remove the cat and it bolts right up to the exhaust, you don't need to do any welding? Then I could just save the old exhaust manifold and stick it back on whenever I had emissions tests... yeah... Am I right?

Oh, I should also mention that my car already throws a CEL light for no reason. (Okay there's a reason, definitely, but it's not a /good/ reason. It's like 'gascap loose' or something retarded like that. I've had it at multiple professional places and they all said it was nothing.) -.- It runs just fine though, doesn't go into 'safe mode' as I've heard people say. So really, I guess I wouldn't care too much about the second O2 sensor.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts