FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my battery wont keep a charge i have brand new alt 95 amp and new duralast battery and it wont keep a charge dose anyone know if i should replace power and ground for battery or just alt power wire just hope its not a short

and its just a question don't flip and start bashing on me its not nice

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
If you have a voltmeter and a battery charger, you can narrow this down very quickly.

Check the voltage across the battery without the engine running (should be 12.5 VDC or more). Start the car and then check the voltage again (should go up to about 14 VDC). That will tell you if your problem is with your alternator/voltage regulator.

Charge the battery fully and check the voltage (should be as high as about 14 VDC). Disconnect the battery leads and check the voltage a couple of hours later. If it's below 12.5 VDC, your battery needs replacing.

If the battery accepts a change but slowly discharges to less than 12.5 VDC with the leads on, you have a short somewhere. You can find it, but it'll take time.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
First do that ^^^.

Then:

Disconnect the positive terminal of the battery and put an multimeter set to read miliamps inline with the terminal and the battery. Take a reading. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think anymore than 150mA draw and you're drawing too much. Maybe someone has a more accurate value.

BTW-is you trunk light turned off??

Matt 8)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i tested with car off and car on befor and it wasnt that dont have a multimeter so i cant do other thing yet if you have another thing to check for plz any help would be good dont want to lug 20 lb jumper around and jump car after it sits for 2 or 3 hours

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Just get a cheap multimeter and try the above. I think you can get them for like $15 these days from Wal-Mart. Course those ones aren't the greatest but at least they get the job done.

·
Registered
15,415 Posts
Don't assume that your new alternator is good if you got it from Autozone or Pep Boys. In fact, it's probably a safer bet that it's bad or will be soon if you bought it from either one of those places.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was like this befor i got the new alt go it from hutchins automotive list 212.06 paid 124.74 it tests like it was good but im on something new now something broke in the head but it still runs fine but if i rev motor to about 4000 rpms in park i will get a clicking i heard a big ping the other day when i started the car but it ran fine today i draind the oil and metal pice and an inch long rod fell out and i took off valve cover and found half of a bridge thing siting at the bottom of head not in the was to make more problems but its a part of a 2 ring part that crosses the liferts dont know what its call couldnt find it in the book i got well i gota fix that somehow and change oil pan gasket

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i found out i might have a short it sits at 12.5 for a min then go's

down i unhooked the seatbelt motor and took out the fuse could that be

it ? my radio never keeps its mem from when my old one got stolen

·
Registered
148 Posts
according to the principle stated earlier, I must have a short too; but my car works fine.

My driving voltage is anywhere from 14.2 V to 11.8 V depending on how much raw WATTs I'm sucking from my single battery electical system. With just my headlights turned on and my fan going and my amplifiers on 30% drain, it sits at about 13.2 V.

When I turn off the car, it stop at 12.5V but soon leaks down to 12.2 volts where it is stable. If I drain electricity by playing my system at 60%, it will drop to 12.0V over 20 minutes.

This gives you an idea of what my system is like and I don't have serious problems with it.

but like life, everything is in flux and things can blow at anymoment. things tend to random disorder; I believe that is the second or third law of thermodynamics.

cheers mate,

Saj

·
Registered
15,415 Posts
The way to find out what's draining your battery is to remove individual fuses and leave them out overnight. One at a time. That should help you narrow it down quite a bit, but it could take a while.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
You said your radio got stolen before so I would pull the radio fuse first. They probably fubared the wires.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will try that stuff tmro just got dont rebuilding head had a jamed lifter

had to take out the cam and knock it down into the cam hole shake head

around untill in fell out still gota get new lifters i might say f*** it and get

the gude race package just to see how good it is and let ppl know what i

think its like $1400 i think

1 - 13 of 13 Posts