FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyas all around... I joined this board a couple days ago, but waited until now to post -- as of 3:30pm (EST) this afternoon, I'm official! :D

1993 Green LX Wagon, 1.9L 5-spd ... and only 70,000 mis. on it, too!

I need to figure out:

a) why the cruise control isn't working, and
b) what is supposed to be in the neat little square hole in the dash
to the right of the steering column. :roll:

...other than that, it's primo.

- turbo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
welcome to the board...about your questions you have to be a paying member to ask any questions its free to answer.......JUST KIDDING.....Um i always thought that little button near the steering column was for the rear windshield on the wagons but being that you have a wagon I guess it isnt so know I would like to know what exactly that is damn sorry I couldnt help :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
turbo said:
Hiyas all around... I joined this board a couple days ago, but waited until now to post -- as of 3:30pm (EST) this afternoon, I'm official! :D

1993 Green LX Wagon, 1.9L 5-spd ... and only 70,000 mis. on it, too!

I need to figure out:

a) why the cruise control isn't working, and
b) what is supposed to be in the neat little square hole in the dash
to the right of the steering column. :roll:

...other than that, it's primo.

- turbo
a) I know someone can help you with this, I know very little myself.
b) the square hole to the right of the steering column...I think I know what you're talking about...here's a picture of it in my GT:



Is it that thing where my radar detector cord comes across it on the dash? (the black thing in my blue shroud...)

if you're talking about that...it's where the rear window defogger switch is supposed to be, I have an extra one if you want it... :p

Forgot to mention...welcome to the site. Got any pics of your monster? :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
95EsortSittinLo said:
O man I need to know my right from my left I thought he meant the otherside :?
Yeah after I posted that i had to go back and check to make sure he said right side. lol

Here's how I normally keep it straight.

Hold out both hands and make the shape of an "L" with your index finger and thumb, which ever one looks like a real "L" is your left hand. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it that thing where my radar detector cord comes across it on the dash? (the black thing in my blue shroud...)

if you're talking about that...it's where the rear window defogger switch is supposed to be, I have an extra one if you want it...
Yep -- that's the spot. Rear window defogger switch, huh... hmm.. Peering down into the gap, I can see what looks like a Molex connector down there... probably where the switch hooks up, I'm guessing. :wink:

So.. you have a spare, huh? Yeah, if you can bear to part with it, I'd like to plug up the gaping hole in my dash! 8)

Forgot to mention...welcome to the site. Got any pics of your monster?
Not yet... but I do have a digital camera with fresh batteries in it. I'll snap some "before" shots in a little bit and get 'em posted. I have a few ideas about changes I want to make to the interior (Those guages and the aluminum brush bezel look sweeeeeeeeet!!), including getting a new AM/FM/CD installed -- it's got AM/FM/Cassette... but, to be honest, I don't think I own a single cassette tape! :p

- turbo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
James92Scort said:
95EsortSittinLo said:
O man I need to know my right from my left I thought he meant the otherside :?
Yeah after I posted that i had to go back and check to make sure he said right side. lol

Here's how I normally keep it straight.

Hold out both hands and make the shape of an "L" with your index finger and thumb, which ever one looks like a real "L" is your left hand. :p
Lol yea my parents taught me that. For my first road test(i took it twice) I put a little white dot with white out on the right side of my steering wheel so I knew which side was the right :twisted: Now Im pretty confident about right and left tho :wink: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a few pics of my new car...

Hiyas again... sorry for the delay. It decided to rain, so I had to wait to take the pics... here's a few:

Exterior shot... that tow-bar has got to go. I haven't got an RV to tow it behind, anyway! :wink:



Interior shot... clean, huh? :D



Gauges... only 70,532.65 miles -- and I put 78.4 of 'em on it during the test drive! :lol:



This one shows "the hole". Definitely need something there. :)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
Cool pictures. I found a silver 5 sp wagon for sale, they want 1655 dollars for it though....bah.

Yeah I can part with my switch. Just pay for the shipping and I'll happily send it your way.

Let me get it boxed up and over the the USPS for a shipping price...whats your zip code?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,188 Posts
Hey, turbo, nice lookin' 93 wagon :thumbleft:

I wrote a response 3 days ago, but it got eaten somehow and I haven't had time to write it again until now. :?

How heavy do you think that towbar is? What does it bolt to underneath?
Don't ask me why I want to know... :toothy9:

Oh, I was going to say. I don't have a rear window defogger, so I just have a smooth cover over that hole. The other side is the power window switch o_O

Anyway, welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

PS: SittinLo, left is the foot you put forward when you ride regular foot, right is the foot you put forward when riding goofy foot. (I figure those are terms a sk8border has a shot at understanding :pottytrain1: ) I spent Sunday riding down parking decks in Charleston on my Freebord (do you sell those?.. no Mtns in NJ :tongue: ).. ride down 5 flights, jump on an elevator and do it all over again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How heavy do you think that towbar is?
Hmm.. I'm not sure... but it's pretty heavy gauge 2.5" pipe... so, I'd say it was pretty heavy. I'll have a more accurate estimation in the near future. ;)

What does it bolt to underneath?
At this point, my guess is the frame. Again, I'll have a more accurate estimation in the near future. ;)

Don't ask me why I want to know...
Okay, but... why do you want to know, anyway?

Oh, I was going to say. I don't have a rear window defogger, so I just have a smooth cover over that hole. The other side is the power window switch o_O
I don't have a rear window defogger, either... but I've got a gaping hole in my dash. :) ...and, on my car, the one on the other side has the power mirror controls on it... I thought the power window controls were mounted in the driver's side armrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
turbo said:
I don't have a rear window defogger, either... but I've got a gaping hole in my dash. :) ...and, on my car, the one on the other side has the power mirror controls on it... I thought the power window controls were mounted in the driver's side armrest.
Thats where my power window switch is too. on the dash to the left. of course my driver mirror doesn't work left to right and the passenger mirror doesn't move up and down...lol

stupid Ford switches. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Beaverboy said:
Hey, turbo, nice lookin' 93 wagon :thumbleft:

I wrote a response 3 days ago, but it got eaten somehow and I haven't had time to write it again until now. :?

How heavy do you think that towbar is? What does it bolt to underneath?
Don't ask me why I want to know... :toothy9:

Oh, I was going to say. I don't have a rear window defogger, so I just have a smooth cover over that hole. The other side is the power window switch o_O

Anyway, welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

PS: SittinLo, left is the foot you put forward when you ride regular foot, right is the foot you put forward when riding goofy foot. (I figure those are terms a sk8border has a shot at understanding :pottytrain1: ) I spent Sunday riding down parking decks in Charleston on my Freebord (do you sell those?.. no Mtns in NJ :tongue: ).. ride down 5 flights, jump on an elevator and do it all over again.
Ya we got freeboards and flow boards :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,188 Posts
That's what I figured, turbo.... heavy..
turbo said:
Don't ask me why I want to know...
Okay, but... why do you want to know, anyway?
Ehh... if it weren't made for pulling a car, it would make a kickass rally light mount. Call me crazy, but I like how it looks in those pictures. :happy6:

SittinLo said:
Ya we got freeboards and flow boards :wink:
Cool, have you ridden either? I've almost got my freebord set up to where it feels just like my snowboard... still a little more tweaking to do. I've never ridden a flow board, only seen/heard of them... they look dangerous :p

~Crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I can part with my switch. Just pay for the shipping and I'll happily send it your way.
...arrived in today's mail!! Yay! I'll add it to my project list... might even get it installed this weekend....

Thanks again, James... I definitely owe ya one!! :thumbleft:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, anyway... any of you fine folks have some Cruise Control system troubleshooting tips?

Is there a "Cruise Control ON" light to show whether it has been activated...and, if so, where exactly is that indicator?

When I turn the Cruise "on", nothing seems to happen. When I click the "Set" button, again nothing happens (and, of course, lifting my foot off the gas produces a steady decrease in forward speed). In other words, it seems completely inoperative.

The Chilton's book is singularly unhelpful. The author(s) cheerily suggest the problem may be:

  1. blown fuse
  2. short or open in the cruise control circuit
  3. faulty brake or clutch switch
  4. leaking vacuum circuit
  5. faulty cruise control switch
  6. faulty stepper motor
  7. faulty transducer
  8. faulty speed sensor
  9. faulty cruise control module

...which is all well and good, but it does nothing (much) for me, other than create more (or, more detailed) questions, like:

  1. which fuse? the chart(s) in the book don't indicate which circuit the cruise is wired into
  2. short/open: I would think a short would cause option 1 to look likely, and an open could be anywhere...
  3. brake/clutch switch: this would be evident in circuits other than cruise control, so I think it unlikely...
  4. vacuum: ditto.. and again, I think it unlikely
  5. the "faulty xxxx" answers: with the exception of the cruise control switch, where exactly are these parts located on my car? If I could find them, I could check/test them...

...anyway... any help in troubleshooting/diagnosing this problem would be welcomed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
turbo said:
Yeah I can part with my switch. Just pay for the shipping and I'll happily send it your way.
...arrived in today's mail!! Yay! I'll add it to my project list... might even get it installed this weekend....

Thanks again, James... I definitely owe ya one!! :thumbleft:
Not a Problem man. I bought the extra dash piece for 15 bucks and painted it, then took mine out and replaced it. So I now have an extra dash bezel, 6 extra vents (I took mine out to mount some gauges there), and that extra switch, which I don't need.

Onto the cruise control questions...honestly I have no idea. My cruise works and I'm very very happy it does. I do know there isn't an indicator light & the only way to see if it works is to actually hit the on button and then the 'set accel' button to see if it sticks at that speed. but obviously that doesn't work for you. I wish I could be of more assistance but all I've done is ramble on and on. :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top