FEOA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY got a chance to tinker on the 1st gen the other day. Took out all the A/C crap - lines, condenser, everything. Also decided to try and take out my P/S pump while I was at it.

While I was taking it out, I had the idea to leave some length of my return and pressure lines attached to the rack, route them together, and see what happens. Anyone ever done this?

I love it! The car drives great! Its not like a P/S system without the pump running - which makes the wheel pretty difficult to turn. It's actually more like a manual rack setup. Requires a little effort at a standstill, but once you're moving at all, it's cake. Anyone ever had experience with this?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess as long as there's fluid in there, it should be fine? Or does a power rack need to pressurized fluid for lubrication?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have been using a power rack without power steering, or even the lines capped off for about 2.5 years. Still no problems, though I would imagine that the dirt getting in the rack will eventually cause some problems. I have other plans for the steering rack though.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What other plans? Were you also surprised at how well that power rack drives without being hooked to the pump?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
89_GT said:
my ac pump is making a whining noise. can i remove the whole pump and get a shorter belt? if i can wat size of belt do i need? thanks- Arin
Yes you can. You need to get an alternator belt for a non a/c car. Just be sure to count how many ribs you have on the pulleys, 5 or 6.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I even used a 5 rib belt on a 6 rib pulley when swapping out my A/C because it was all I had around- and that worked fine as well. Not a long term solution, but one that works decently, I guess!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Actually, since my car has a dealer installed a/c, it has 5 rib pulleys. When I needed to get a new alternator, the pulley is a 6 rib. No issues for a couple of years now

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I had removed the PS pump on my supra because the rack leaked, I was basically filling it daily. Much heavier car, but I loved it! Helped work up some arm strength too. I autocrossed it like that a couple times, was a work out for sure, but I loved it.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I drove my car one day with no belt on the P/S pump and loved it. Granted I'm using a Tempo rack, so I don't know if the gearing is different (but I can check!). There are pressure seals inside the rack that cause the friction...taking the rack apart and removing these seals, then repacking with good grease will result in a high-ratio manual style rack. It's really that simple. I've seen the exploded views, and am still thinking of doing this on my car. I love the extra road feel I had, although torque steer was way more apparent.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't even think the friction was too bad, especially with the pump and lines removed. I think I'm gonna hold off on the manual rack for a while to save some cash!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts