FEOA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got some universal ones from Super LEDs. They just come with two wires coming off of them so you can splice them in to existing wire. Also they attach the same way with two screws. Will have to see if the holes match up or I need to drill a new one. But will be great to get rid of the stock ones that have sockets that crumble with age. Will update when I get to it. It's on my to do list. Working on changing a battery clamp today. I bought this car last year and am going through all of the things that previous owner failed to do as part of regular or decent maintenance. The other day that was finding that passenger side brake pads had gone metal to metal and were also missing the rattle clip as well. Replacing rotors and pads and installing new hardware very shortly....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Super Bright LEDs that is... LOL. A few photos. I can always remove that black cover as well. It covers half of the LEDs because they could be mounted vertically and the ones in the ZX2 are mounted horizontally...
PLDC0693.JPG
PLDC0694.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the screw centers are 1 and 5/8 inch apart on the old ones and 2 inches apart on the new ones. So it looks like I will be drilling a couple of holes. Shouldn't be hard but won't get to it today. I did get the battery posts cleaned off and installed a new clamp today on the negative side. A small amount of corrosion on the wire itself that I can see going down and it is wrapped with electrical tape as well. Just didn't feel like opening that can of worms today...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to see if I can get this done today. Will charge up the portable drill. Not only are the sockets on the stock ones crappy but also those wires are super thin as well. Will probably use a solder iron and solder the wires together for a good connection. I do have a battery powered soldering iron handy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got around to doing this and it was easy peasy, for the most part. I made the mistake of soldering wires together before I realized that white wire went to black wire and black wire went to red wire. LEDs will only work one way. Other than that just pried off the old crappy ones with a pliers, used the new ones as a template to drill a couple of very small holes and then installed. Here is a photo of the finished product. Will see how they work tonight when the sun goes down....
PLDC0704.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I pulled the old ones out the sockets basically disintegrated. Such crappy stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They look amazing, and it doesn't sound like it's too much work. How long did it take, start to finish, to install those? How do they look at night? Also, did the lights come with any screws?
I'm thinking about doing those and my interior dome light at the same time.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I personally want less of a chance for people to see my plate. Enough light to be legal and I am good.
But, great job on the install.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They look amazing, and it doesn't sound like it's too much work. How long did it take, start to finish, to install those? How do they look at night? Also, did the lights come with any screws?
Didn't take long at all. I messed up the first one by not checking to make sure that they were wired correctly before soldering the wires together. Of course you really don't need to solder the wires but I thought that was an easy way to go since I have a portable battery powered solder gun. So I would say less than an hour for both sides and without any slip ups they could probably be done in a half hour time. They come with screws so you just have to have a drill bit that is the right size so when you drill the holes the screws will fit tightly in those holes. I went and got a cheap set at Harbor Freight for $6 since I didn't have the correct size bit to begin with. I moved the small gasket to the inside and then used the base as a template for where to drill those holes.

They do look great at night. Last night was my first chance to see them and the license plate lit up perfectly. There were two color choices and I got "natural white".

BTW, when I removed the old ones they were burnt and basically just fell apart in my hand. Real crap stuff...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to say that if you do this job you want to cut the old wires as close to the old bulb sockets as possible. That way you will have plenty of wire to work with when you splice in the new ones...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi everyone! Here is a potentially easier alternative for repairing cracked/yellowed/melted license plate lights on the zx2...

Buy a set of lamp housings and LEDs for 79-93 mustangs. You can find them online for like $20 shipped. These housings fit the ZX2s perfectly, and by switching to LEDs, you will finally end the cycle of thermal damage caused by the relentless inefficiency of incandescent bulbs.

If your sockets are also already melted, then you'll need to replace them too. But that's easy too. No need to drill new holes or run new wires to solve this 20th century problem with 21st century technology.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone! Here is a potentially easier alternative for repairing cracked/yellowed/melted license plate lights on the zx2...

Buy a set of lamp housings and LEDs for 79-93 mustangs. You can find them online for like $20 shipped. These housings fit the ZX2s perfectly, and by switching to LEDs, you will finally end the cycle of thermal damage caused by the relentless inefficiency of incandescent bulbs.

If your sockets are also already melted, then you'll need to replace them too. But that's easy too. No need to drill new holes or run new wires to solve this 20th century problem with 21st century technology.
I think that the ones I got were even cheaper than the $20 you mentioned and they were completely easy to install... They are bright and look great as well... Just saying...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drilling the new holes was pretty simple since I just made a template and it was then just a matter of drilling two holes which took no time at all. And then all I had to do was attach new wires to old wires and that was simple as well. Oh well, each to his own I guess. Whatever works...

Yeah they were $5.95 each and shipping was cheap as well. I will look up those Mustang lights just to see...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...courtesy-accent-light-pigtail-connection/250/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Can you post a link to where one might find those Mustang lamps... I did find some LED bulbs but no housings...

·
Registered
50 Posts
@coonmanx Sorry I didn't mean to suggest this is a better option than yours! Just a different route I followed a couple years ago. Your post inspired me to share it with everyone on the forum too.

It looks like the Mustang light kit is indeed more expensive. I am just really bad with a hand drill so I like to avoid drilling holes whenever I can!

Can you post a link to where one might find those Mustang lamps... I did find some LED bulbs but no housings...
Here is an Amazon link that will eventually stop working:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBCPLQK

Here's what the product looks like:

511JBv5nxpL._AC_SX355_.jpg

The included LEDs have an obnoxious blueish hue, but hey, they work and I'll probably never have to replace them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@coonmanx Sorry I didn't mean to suggest this is a better option than yours! Just a different route I followed a couple years ago. Your post inspired me to share it with everyone on the forum too.

It looks like the Mustang light kit is indeed more expensive. I am just really bad with a hand drill so I like to avoid drilling holes whenever I can!

Here is an Amazon link that will eventually stop working:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBCPLQK

Here's what the product looks like:

View attachment 50900

The included LEDs have an obnoxious blueish hue, but hey, they work and I'll probably never have to replace them.
Not a big deal. I do really like the ones from Superbright LEDs... It was quite easy to drill the holes since I just traced out a template on some paper for them and then drilled them out in a few seconds... Also the natural white LEDs do look awesome.

Either way we both realized how crappy the old ones are and thanks for sharing your fix as well. That way people do have options... You could probably also find some different LED wedge bulbs on Ebay for super cheap if you don't like the color of the ones that you are now using...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts