FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, so some of you may know I had a 4 door hatch that I recently let go due to it rusting out. So I'm looking into picking up a 2nd gen 2dr lx or gt.

I know theirs ALOT to look into when purchasing a used car, with that said I'd like if you guys could point out a few things maybe I forgot.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
well, first off you'll have to change your username. I think there is a "how-to" in the appropriate section :p

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL
I thought about that.
But I don't know what I'd change it to, maybe make a thread about that later, save it for off topic, lol.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Just remember, sellers are going to be shady and not tell you everything that's wrong with it, if they tell you anything at all. Seller I bought my 91GT from wanted 850, I offered 700 after seeing the things wrong with it that jumped out at me. And they jumped all over it. And the body and interior are pretty clean. I think the passenger side cv is going out, and the fuel leak, I replaced the sending unit but it didn't seal properly so it still pours out. Not sure if that was my mistake or if there is something wrong with the tank. Old cars, they have problems.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow shitty deal man, sorry to hear.
This dude seems a bit shady, but sometimes you just gotta go for it.

its a 93 lx, with a 1.9, standard, got 170 somethin km on it, lowered on coilovers, header, full gt bumpers, 1 piece skirts, blueish/green color, full gt interior, claims to have new brakes and tires, it'll pass e test just needs a flex pipe, says it will pass safety no prob.

He wants 700 but he went down to 500 cause he needs it gone, sitting in front of his house getting parking tickets, hes willing to get it towed to me too, its 30 mins away. Also says the batt's dead, so it won't start. I'm gonna tell him no worries, i'll bring some jumpers, haha.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Yeah, when I went to check the one I bought, they told me it wouldn't start. so I checked it out. they showed me the battery they tried to start it with and the posts were at the wrong ends of the battery and she said "we had it hooked up yesterday" checked the main fuse and it was popped. so I went to the JY got an 80amp mains fuse and a battery and test drove it, lol

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
ya be careful, when i got mine the guy forgot to mention it was sitting for a year, and he didnt mention some body damage/ rust which i fixed easily but shaved 200 bucks off the price 8)

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I were you, I would hear it run and try to test drive it run before buying it. I never bought a car that I couldn't drive home even if the problem was as minor as a battery. It doesn't take much to cover up a lot of problems with a car. I would check the rear strut towers, cv-joints, front-suspension, t-belt, plugs, and the oil while your at it. The front suspension is easy to check, bring a small floor jack if you can and check the front wheels for any play.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,064 Posts
+1 on hearing it run. The seller can cover up all sorts of problems by not letting you test drive it.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
letting it run + test drive is a must

·
Registered
344 Posts
[email protected] it run.. reminds me of a saturn i "test drove".. once i turned it on I couldn't hear anything the engine was that loud. I mean I was almost def! They said ah not to worry it's only one of these you'll need to quickly fix it... I left it, if it was that quick and easy why didn't they fix it? lol

Anyway to get to the point check out this site:

http://www.nmvtis.gov/

I used it to check out my car.. although that was after I bought it lol it's cheaper than carfax and has will give you everything the government has on that car, you'll need the VIN of course.

Good Luck! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.