FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKaayy.. My headlight are a lil yellow... not oo but they are...

I read a lot on this subject and I'm really poor in english so I'm gonna resume the steps and u gonna tell me if im right

first remove the headlight assembly (duh)

i'm going to skip some steps ..

take a 1000 sandpaper and buff just to remove a fine thickness
after I buff with a 1500-2000 sandpaper. After Just to wax with chrome polish?

I'm right or no?
thx

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just use turtle wax polishing comound paste in a green can. You don't have to take the lights off. You do have to use a lot of elbow grease. After that you can wax them or I use 3M's fine rubbing compound for light scratches to finish it off.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I took 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 followed by rubbing compound, and some wax and it turned out just fine. You just have to rub untill you think you're going to wear through the lens, then rub some more :D Some of the guys on here are perfectionists, and I found their methog to be little bit of an overkill.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I did 320 to get rid of the alignment nubs.

600 wet sand to get rid of the yellow quickly

800 wet sand to smooth

1000 wet sand to smooth more

Skip the polishing.. just use clearcoat after the 1000. The clear will adhere to the lense better after the 1000 than it will if you polish it all the way.

Wet sand the clear between coats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While the sanding and buffing will do an excellent job at this no doubt. Bluemagic does have a plastic and plexiglass cleaner (not the metal cleaner) which I just used a week ago on my 91 GT and it worked quite well at removing oxidation and yellowing. The stuff costs $5 at Autozone. It's in a white plastic bottle with a blue cap. It took 15 minutes and totally worked on my car. It even took light scratches out of my instrument panel.

For the effort and cost I would try this stuff first.

Monte

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
the differance with clear coat (i have clear coated lights on my ride) is they look clearcoated. if you get a poor quality spray bomb (really actually any spray bomb) clear you can 100% tell. polishing them actually makes them look new from what i have heard (if you take the time to do it right).

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shit, I messed up my lights... I passed a 500 -1000 - 1500 sandpaper and theres still scratch lines on it... im going to buy some chrome polish but I dont think it will do the job.... what im supose to do?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
eheheh
yeah, so now I really messed up the lights
I putted clearcloat but too much man, it leak and make cracks so I need to restart again

im so dumb sometime....

·
Registered
324 Posts
JohnnyBee said:
****, I messed up my lights... I passed a 500 -1000 - 1500 sandpaper and theres still scratch lines on it... im going to buy some chrome polish but I dont think it will do the job.... what im supose to do?
Keep sanding with 1000 then 1500 till there all gone.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
yeah this is how i did mine last time

i took a DA sander and sanded them down with like 200 grit or something like that... i sanded till they looked white (NO YELLOW AT ALL) then i sanded some more... then i busted out the 400 grit and cleaned up the 200 grit marks... then 600 wet... then 1000 wet... then 1500 wet.... then like you figured out take your time with the clear coat... multiple thin coats.

sand with the 1500 till your fingers are about to fall off... if you dont get all the previous grit marks out it wont look the way you want it to when your done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts