FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for "installing axles" and "axle installation" and only found stuff on how to get them out. I got them out real easy but am having problems getting them back in. When I pulled them, I put old axle stubs in the case so I don't think anything "fell out of position". The thing there is that the stubs did not have the snap rings and the pass side went in easy and the driver side did not go all the way in. What might have happened? I would really appreciate any thoughts from you more experienced guys on getting these back in. Thanks a lot.

· Registered
2,848 Posts
Try straightening out the steering wheel so both hubs are oriented straight. I had trouble getting the axles back in the trans if the hubs were not straight. I don't know if they were in too much of a bind when they were angled or what, but that helped me out.

I also lubed them up with some all-purpose grease the 2nd time I had to put them back in, and that seemed to help them slide in better.

On both my cars, especially the Protege, I had to exert a LOT of force to get the driver side to snap back in. I don't know why, since they were both in the same condition, but that's how it was.

· Registered
723 Posts
nezwick and zzyzzx are both right. The opening in the clip needs to be facing up, and you should apply some multi-purpose grease to the axle shaft and clip before installing it.
Info courtesy of the Ford service manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.