FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the when i bought my 92 lx last year only half the gauge lights work and now theer all blow out but all my other dash lights still work so i thing is just the bulbs for the gauges. I was wondering how hard is gonna be to change em out cause i cant seem to get the main dash plastic out cause of the streeing wheel. My car dont come with a tilt cloumn or wheel

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
It's easy to swap the bulbs out. remove the bezel surround (6-7 screws and 2 plugs), column surround(3 screws), and the 4 screws holding the cluster in place. Remove the 4 nuts holding the column in place, and the column will drop into your lap. If you want to be safe, remove the lower dash piece under the column.

The cluster should slide out. If it doesn't, you need to pop the hood and follow the cable that connects to the VSS on the trans. Remove the clip that holds it in place, pull the cable out, and that will give you the room needed to get the cluster out.

There are 3 plugs and the speedo cable, and then the cluster will come completely out. From there, the bulbs twist out, and then pop out of the holders.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im running inot a snag again i cant seem to find the cable that daves talkin about anybody got a pics of where it connects to

·
Registered
927 Posts
Grab the cluster on both sides and pull it out lightly. It may only move out about 3" and don't just yank or you WILL break the spedo mount on the back of the cluster. Reach up behind the cluster and where the speedo cable connects to the cluster, there will be a white nylon connector. It has to be squeezed to release the retaining clip. The cluster will just fall out once the retaining clip lets loose. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,291 Posts
Dont forget the connectors, between the car and the cluster. They also have to be squeezed, then wiggled and they come out. There are 3 of them, and maybe a 4th one that is only about two wires. The main are more like 8-10 wire connectors.
I always pull the cluster out - slowly, then pull on the left side. This gives me enough room for my hand go get in behind and unclip the speedo cable from the back of the speedo.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
dave8338 said:
Grab the cluster on both sides and pull it out lightly. It may only move out about 3" and don't just yank or you WILL break the spedo mount on the back of the cluster. Reach up behind the cluster and where the speedo cable connects to the cluster, there will be a white nylon connector. It has to be squeezed to release the retaining clip. The cluster will just fall out once the retaining clip lets loose. :)
That will only work on some 2nd gens. The others had a shorter cable, and you cannot get it far enough out without removing the cable from the VSS on the trans.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Pull the rubber intake tube and follow the speedo cable from the firewall down to VSS in the back of trans. Remove lock clip and pull straight up, being careful not to damage VSS. This will give plenty slack to pull cluster out. Check out my post in Interior.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts