FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my timing cover and it has a black gates timing belt in there from the previous owner.

It is not the blue one that everyone says is heavy duty.

Are there different levels? If so, how tough is the black Gates timing belt?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes there are different kinds. The black gates is a composite/rubber material vs the blue being (as taken from corksports website) "Constructed of HNBR elastomeric composites, Gates Racing Performance Timing Belts are 300% stronger than stock belts and deliver up to three times the heat resistance."

However, gates in itself is a good quality part. If there is nothing wrong with the belt, no sense replacing it, but im always skeptical when it comes to timing belts and wear and tear. Our engines arent interference from the factory so its up to you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tturnpaw said:
Yes there are different kinds. The black gates is a composite/rubber material vs the blue being (as taken from corksports website) "Constructed of HNBR elastomeric composites, Gates Racing Performance Timing Belts are 300% stronger than stock belts and deliver up to three times the heat resistance."

However, gates in itself is a good quality part. If there is nothing wrong with the belt, no sense replacing it, but im always skeptical when it comes to timing belts and wear and tear. Our engines arent interference from the factory so its up to you.
Good info, but is the black belt supposed to be tougher than stock? I checked the corksports site, but I could only find the info about the black belt just the blue one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it said 11 + hp on the site. Doesn't every bit of HP count??????

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Mine went dark too. Just grim from the engine/road.

I clean it every so often and it comes right back to the bright blue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts